Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Microsoft
  • Tucked away amongst Microsoft's Windows Server 2012 version plans is a bomb for media server PC fans: Windows Home Server is going away. Although the platform was already in something of a comatose state after HP dropped its MediaSmart servers and left the OS without a major vendor to champion the cause, an FAQ reveals the stand-alone build is going away as well. Windows Server 2012 Essentials is taking its place and will handle both media server as well as small business server duties in one package.

Via: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/06/windows-home-server-takes-its-final-bow/

It is very interesting how idiotic managers are doing their thing. Dumping good piece of software specially intended for the task.
    Btw, I could tell you why HP stopped producing home servers - it was part of same plan that included pulling from tablets, and many other things. Idea that came to MBA heads was to cut all things with margin less than some predeterminated value. Add here usual Microsoft practice to rip money from all that have "server" in their name.
    Of course this idiots already fucked current WHS version, as it has too many advanced features previously :-)

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • OpenMediaVault for a possible alternative, or FreeNAS for ZFS.

What is your thoughts on the 'Linux / BDS' world of servers VK?

• @alcomposer

This is all not for me.

And I doubt that any of them come with solution that is able to make full system transparent backup.

What is your thoughts on the 'Linux / BDS' world of servers VK?

As for Linux servers. It is good illustration that managers and programmers can do to the world if you leave them alone. :-)

• And I doubt that any of them come with solution that is able to make full system transparent backup.

OMV is built on Debian with full rsync support (OMV is simply PHP/Javascript web interface for Debian) Standard Debian Squeeze with SSH. So can do either a pull or push system backup.

Let me know what you mean by transparent backup.

I am only discussing this as I am in the process of building a NAS with OMV- so if there are any potential issues I would like to hear them

• Let me know what you mean by transparent backup

I mean software that makes full backup including all system things while you are normally working.

OMV is built on Debian with full rsync support (OMV is simply PHP/Javascript web interface for Debian) Standard Debian Squeeze with SSH. So can do either a pull or push system backup.

This two sentences fully describe why 99% of people won't touch it with a pole.

• Aw.... Really? I am a serious troglodyte When it comes to tech, and I don't know any other solution that is as easy. Logic is this:

I dont want to think about updates or licenses I want update to be as easy as a button that says update I need full afp support, and auto configuring services I need full and hardcore software raid

I am guessing that all users of whs are mainly using it to serve data at home- not web sites...

Ymmv

• @alcomposer

Lets modify, as poor user read it:

OMV .... Debian ... rsync ... PHP ... Javascript ... interface ... Debian ... Standard Debian Squeeze ... SSH. pull .. push ... backup

Awful.

• And I doubt that any of them come with solution that is able to make full system transparent backup.

LOL. You do not understand that you are talking.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

LOL. You do not understand that you are talking.

Ditto... Unless I don't understand what you are talking about. Do you somehow really think Linux servers do not do automated backups?

• Do you somehow really think Linux servers do not do automated backups?

No one is talking about your beloved Linux servers. Period.

• ?? Sorry, Then you've lost me!

And I doubt that any of them come with solution that is able to make full system transparent backup.

Some operating systems such as Linux[1] and Mac OS X[2] have virtual drive functionality built-in (such as the loop device), while others such as Microsoft Windows require additional software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image

• @Roberto

This topic is about Windows. Period.

• Ok we missed the point on this one:

Windows Home Server is now Windows Server 2012 Essentials

WHS= simple good software WS2012E= very complex good software Linux= crazy crazy complex good software

Hope this helps... WHS is good because it is 'easy to use'- now it is no more, the end.

• Windows Home Server is now Windows Server 2012 Essentials

It is different things, and WHS is not now Windows Server 2012 Essentials
    Just Microsoft guys suggested that you can use it instead.

• Thats what I mean. A bit like FCPX is now FCP. Different but for all intensive purposes the update.

• OK, I am closing topic. As it went off rails.
    From now on all Linux mentioning topic unrelated to video editing will be instantly closed.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions