Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HBR = 30fps? 60fps slowed down = jittery?
  • Hi! NEW to the forum and about to Donate in just a second as I have learned a lot on here!

(sorry I started my previous question in the wrong section, sorry mods)

You guys have made me almost sell my 5Dmkii, almost...!

But, I have to say that at this point I'm a little disappointed with the GH2.

First, the hack I'm using is spanmybitchup v2b. I'm shooting on a Nikkor 50mm 1.8.

I was shooting a music video yesterday and had the GH2 as my B camera. I tried to shoot on HBR...when I got home to edit, I realized that it's been shot in 30fps...super let down. I can't use this footage as everything I ever shoot in in 24p....sigh....

Last weekend, I brought it down to Houston for a celebrity basketball tournament. I get there, set up my 5D and walk the floor capturing dunks and stuff like that in 60fps. I get home to edit, interpret the footage to 24fps...its VERY jittery. So, I take a look at more footage. Also jittery and not a smooth slow motion. Some of it was. Weird.

Questions: If I shoot in 24p cinema and I have the hack installed...am I even shooting with the highest quality the hack has to offer or is this still just normal, stock GH2 footage?

60fps. Why is it that I am getting jittery slow motion when conformed down to 24fps? Why is it smooth sometimes? I REALLY don't like to roll the dice especially for events...if you sleep on capturing a moment, or it doesn't turn out good...it's gone forever.

That's all!

Thank you guys so much!!!

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • High bit rate shoots in 60i and might not convert to 24p smoothly. The GH2 only shoots 60p at 720. With the stock firmware 24H is a higher bitrate and 24L is a lower bit rate and most of the patches follow the same pattern but it may vary from patch to patch. It's important to read your manual if you want to understand the settings since Panny uses weird setting names and it's important to test any patch before you bring it on a shoot.

• @antonioNHB As a simple aid, I prepared the following cheat sheet, because I too was often confused by the Panasonic names. I hope this helps!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mGCYzzdahQ4AIhPfcoHBv9hMbhVCmX5HkfOu5HRQUrs/edit

Please let me know if this shared document works.

• High bit rate with this patch shoots 30fps.

I realize 60fps shoots in 720 but is there any explanation as to why it sometimes records jittery and sometimes it does not?

My Queston about 24p cinema setting is, since it's the only 24fps setting, is it even affected by the hacks that everyone says makes this camera so great?

Is there any way to leverage the hacks to shoot in 24fps?

When people say that this camera is equal to or better than the 5D, surely they aren't talking about only in 30fps. Maybe i'm missing something.

Can anyone elaborate?

Is 24p cinema affected by these hacks?

• High bit rate with this patch shoots 30fps.

I realize 60fps shoots in 720 but is there any explanation as to why it sometimes records jittery and sometimes it does not?

My Queston about 24p cinema setting is, since it's the only 24fps setting, is it even affected by the hacks that everyone says makes this camera so great?

Is there any way to leverage the hacks to shoot in 24fps?

When people say that this camera is equal to or better than the 5D, surely they aren't talking about only in 30fps. Maybe i'm missing something.

Can anyone elaborate?

Is 24p cinema affected by these hacks?

• thank you.

my main question is, do the hacks increase the bitrate of the 24p cinema mode?

when people are comparing this camera to the 5d are they only speaking in terms of 30fps?

second, why is 60fps so hit or miss? do people find it disturbing that they are rolling the dice on smooth footage when recording 60fps?

• Most of the hacks increase 24p cinema mode but they can be made to increase any of the shooting modes. Read the details of a patch before you install it. 24p is probably the most used mode on the GH2 so most of the patches are oriented towards improving that. Most of the GH2 vs 5d videos I've scene are comparing the GH2 24p to 5d 24p. I haven't used 60p on the GH2 yet so I can't answer any questions about it, but there are some patches that are meant to specifically improve 720 60p footage.

• I realize 60fps shoots in 720 but is there any explanation as to why it sometimes records jittery and sometimes it does not?

@antonioNHB do you follow 180 degree rule. That means at 60fps a shutter speed of 125/s.

• @Tida yes. But I like to shoot at higher shutter speed as well (bypassing the ND filter), sometimes as much as 4000 in outdoor situations and I never had an issue with the t2i performing 60fps to 24fps. It always came out smooth. Even if I kicked the shutter speed down to 50@60fps on the t2i, conforming the footage down to 24 always looked smooth as butter. Maybe it's the hack I'm using? I've seen this same issue when it was stock as well.

I didn't see the issue brought up frequently on the forum, however, when I see slow motion/60fps tests with GH2, I am constantly seeing "bad" footage.

• @turbojeffro thank you!! that's super refreshing! I will keep an eye out on 60fps and 24p being affected by hacks going forward as it is the most important features for guys who shoot music videos (me in many cases)

• @antonioNHB I've used 90% of the hacks and shot slow-mo footage. Never had any problems with " smoothness ".

• @x_worpig_x i have found multiple videos with shit slow motion from this camera and i can upload you some of my own when shot in 60fps and slowed to 24.

guys, i think i may have found a good patch with everything mentioned above. on the strength of this video (

) i have downloaded the 88mbit patch and it looks to be pretty good.

another question: in-camera, on the lcd, let's say you're in 24p cinema mode and at 50 shutter. you switch to 125 shutter and it looks like you are shooting in 60fps. it's not a true vision of what the camera is shooting. if you are like most filmmakers, you can look at ANY footage and say, "that was shot in 24", or "that was definitely shot in 30"...and 60fps has a distinct, fast look. right?

has anyone else noticed that when shooting 24, you change the shutter higher and it has the LOOK of 60fps on your lcd? no bueno