Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Grading on Plasma, if that´s my target medium...good idea?
  • Hello,

I have a nice Panasonic Plasma hooked up to my workstation. I am in the process of grading my short film (with AE and Colorista) and I was thinking to do all the color directly on my plasma. Since blu-ray will be the medium for delivery and I do not own a pro grade balanced monitor. In After Effects all my grading projects are in rec709 color space.

Any thoughts on that? Are there any pitfalls to look out for? Thanks!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • If that's all your budget can stretch to, then so be it. There are some calibration dvd's around that will allow you to set up your plasma reasonably accurately. At the very least, use the THX calibration signals that Pixar include on most of their discs these days.

• good tip with the calibration discs. I did a little research and "Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray" seems to convince many TV nerds. So I´m going to order that one. Thanks!

• If you have it attached to your computer, why you need Blu-ray?

• I´d put it in my Blu-ray ROM.

• @JackBayer

Anything present you from using software that generate test charts?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Well, only that I wouldn´t really know what to do, once I see the charts on my screen. As I gathered from the product description of the mentioned Blu-ray, there are tutorials and what not on it, that take youthrough the process of calibrating.

They don´t? Or am I missing something?