Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Repeatable Focus Moves with Focus By Wire lenses
  • Here is my little contribution to PV. These focus by wire lenses are maddening. So, I've been trying to finda way to manage repeatable focus moves. Here's where I'm at: Physically superimposed marks on the LCD or monitor. (Stick on) I first tried camera tape strips with pen marks. Not bad but ugly. Also grease pencil and so forth. What I came up with (and could be improved is this: (see photo) screen protectors for cameras and Iphones havee a little scale for cutting with precision, I just cut off the scale and stuck it over where the distance slider appears when you manually focus an auto lens. It's transluscent with marks and numbers. Then I used the focus chart and tape measure and memorized distance for each auto lens. (sort of) It could work for your focus puller, or piss her off. But i like it for hitting a couple of marks without spazzing out on the focus ring. It's something. With the 12-35 pana, it could be promising eh? Photo taken with camera phone looking into the varavon loupe diopter, mounted on gh2... Good Loupe! Thanks Vitaly Let's get 'er in focus dammit!

repeatable fuckus.JPG
    1296 x 968 - 326K
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • @bheath

Thanks for your effort & ingenuity. Next best thing to some sort of quantum-leap solution like pre-programmed focus-points.

• LOL, JPEG file is named "repeatable fuckus". Yes, it effs me. Repeatedly. Every time, in fact. Hence, I am hocking off my 14-140 because it just sits in my bag.

• @B3Guy - focus by wire is the photography equivalent of a long distance love affair, no real satisfaction in the end. I only have tried this translucent tape measure on the lcd with my summilux pana. It does work well enough that I won’t have to bat that lens off the camera. I put an espresso pot gasket around the focus wheel and just jam the ff gear into it. There’s a kinky dude here that fit a Coch ring over his “gear” for that purpose. I’m too shy to go in one of those adult stores, or to handle these bedroom implements in the field, so I just use the good old conservative kitchen ones.

@Roberto - Thank YOU. I always enjoy reading your posts. This is the first time I've participated in any kind of forum and it's quite fun and interesting.