Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
  • Any opinions or experience on the above Manfrotto ? I note that it has a "2 inch built in half ball lock" Could be great for DSLR's.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • I got this one, pretty satisfied for now, suitable for lightweight DSLR configuration ( GH2+H4n for me). I'll receive my rig in a few weeks so I don't know how does the head will work with the extra weight.

One thing to notice : panning is VERY hard the first time, just rotate the head 200/300 times and it will be smooth.

• You probably don't want anything WORSE than this head. It's not the greatest but not the worst.

• Have it too, happy with it in configuration with the GH2 pans smooth, used it with a heavier camera (sony hdr-ax2000e) about 2,5Kg and could not pan well to heavy. Recently I bought the 561BHDV-1 mono pod that have the same plate and the same head that is a very interesting product to shoot when you are around, could make cool movements no need to adjust the legs for the balance..

• @brianluce +1 :-) I think it´s one of the best price performance heads for DSLR, however I never tried the new China stuff...

• I have it. It's fine -- use it on my second tripod (satchler cine dslr is my main tripod). Kinda wish I got the 501 instead of the 701 as the 701 doesn't handle a lot of weight well.

• it is okay if you use it with a light set up. If you have to impress your clients with a cage, a monitor, mic, viewfinder and so on you better go for a more solid head. I have one as second head. I use it on the monopod, on the slider and if I go with a small equipment on a carbon tripod. It's cheap so it's worth the money definitly but it's not a professional head.

• Thanks guys, good feedback.

• I agree here with the crowd. Ideally it's a acceptable/decent head for the B cam.

• @brianluce @paceonearth What head do you suggest for smoother tilts and pans?

• @Kihlian Not many tripod heads are well suited for GH2's -- GH2 is just so dang light. I think Vitaliy has a link for a modded Weifeng that looks good. The new DSLR Sachtler should be good and of course, Vintin Blue. I use this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459140-REG/Libec_H38_H38_Professional_Fluid_Head.html which is kinda crude but works much better than a 701.

• @brianluce

Thanks. Make smooth movements with the 701 is a challenge that always bring me to sweat.

• @Kihlian I have a Manfrotto 504HD for the A Cam. I bought it in a bundle with the 546B and after 6 months I am quite satisfied with it. It works also for smooth panning with light weight cameras as GH2 or 5D. It's solid enough for my Kessler Crane lite 8.0 too. I know the Sachtler guys turn up their nose at Manfrotto but I was surprised about the quality and did not have a budget for a big Sachtler which could support the lite crane. My suggestion No1 for smoother tilt pan is practice. Go and shoot ;)

• I used 504 also and liked it too. Nice head I thought, one caveat is that the GH2 had a huge 35mm vintage angeniux movie lens on it.

• then I would consider the 504HD if I buy a new head. It should also support my Igus slider. One question in the 504HD also fits the plate of the 701HD? The one is 501pl the other 501PLONG. However I pan very rarely.. Prefer the 561BHDV-1 mono pod faster spirit level; perfect with a lightweight like the GH2, could also make more interesting movements, although needs more practice..