Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DJI Lidar support for Lumix GH5M2 and GH6 with DJI RS3 Pro gimbal
  • Great. But not.

So.... RS3 Pro is $900 and the Lidar module is $600, a whopping total of $1500. I have a few DJI gimbals, RS2 and RS3 Mini, which both can't support the Lidar module, so this is a toss. Also the RS3 Pro is a heavy and large gimbal which supports up to 4.5 kg payload. Overkill for most GHx cases. So, I can get the PDAF focus G9M2 in a few weeks for a few 100's more and use on my RS3 Mini and get the added benefits of the latest sensor performance and processing. As well as the more light weight gimbal. It really doesn't add up for me personally. And hoping for a GH7 announcement soon in any case.

This Lidar stuff would have been super like 5 years ago.

Undoubtedly someone which owns both the GH6 and the DJI RS3 Pro would find this more exiting news I would guess.

394540733_738393244999059_8136340406627945509_n.jpg
    1080 x 1350 - 421K
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Issue with lidar is that it requires good resolution, high speed and also AI backend. Does it have all of this?

And such thing must be pretty cheap.

• Requiring the gimbal is a massive fail

• Actually, I have general issues with gimbals. As this guys keep releasing new models and after them another batch of new models. Each part is different. It is like some stoned party production.

• @Xenocide38

There appear to be some theoretical work arounds but since you still need to find a way to power the LIDAR with an external power source it all becomes a mess unless you are doing a big rig, but 1) is not very practical as you still need the gimbal to set up the system for the various lens profiles and 2) is the very expensive solution as you need the complete DJI wireless monitoring solution.

What I can't understand is why all the set up is not done directly in the camera menu itself, but DJI want to sell gimbals I guess. But it's most likely the power issue. It could simply be related to powering the Lidar module perhaps as explained in the number one video, the USB-C on the camera can perhaps not supply power at all?

EDIT: The LIDAR uses 6.8 watts and it has only one USB-C for power and communication. So with only one port it's not possible to supply power and connect to the camera at the same time without some extended add on.

Just plugging the Lidar module into the USB-C on the camera and then input distances and lens data directly on the camera menu system would have been super. As it is it only removes the external focus motor from the setup (which is great of course, but things could have been even better).

1)

2)

• Some more digging and it seems like the DJI system also uses non standard USB-C power levels to power the LIDAR.

To recap:

So the DJI LIDAR could have worked without the gimbal, but as the gimbal is basically the power supply of the LIDAR module it's not possible. The LIDAR uses 6.8 watts and has a single port for both power and communication. (The LIDAR processor is probably running hot as it looks like it even has a small fan?) If the USB-C is connected to the camera there is no easy way to power the LIDAR device with an external source. And in any cause you would have to rig up the camera with a external battery supply. To make it even worse the DJI LIDAR is using a non standard voltage supply on the USB from the gimbal (needs cable that provides 7-14volts without alteration, and without being USB PD spec). So while it probably would not be a problem to include the lens set up for the LIDAR in the camera menu itself, you would have to get a completely different LIDAR module with some sort of built in battery.