Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mbox Pro Audio Interface $595
  • The mbox pro is a superb audio interface and perfect for pro tools. B&H is having a very good deal on it now: $489.99

EDIT: they just raised the price to $595!! That's still a pretty decent deal I think.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761407-REG/Avid_9900_65137_00_Mbox_3_Pro.html/

I just placed my order.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Any reason to prefer it among other interfaces?
    As I understand Firewire interfaces are going out and are replaced by USB ones.

• Thats a really good deal. I really like the conversion over previous generation. I think the only advantage is this is a good deal and its rock-solid with PT. Off-course, you can use any interface now with PT.

• Looks pretty sweet... good deal.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev and @pvjames...

The pre-amps are quite possibly the best for built-in audio interfaces in this price range. I tried an AKAI eie pro and the preamps were pretty useless without getting an external preamp. I talked to a soundpro and he said these are siginficantly better preamps.

There are 8 channels of input and output (w/ 4 xlr ins); compatibility with 5.1 surround system; ability to monitor out to three different sets of monitors and two different sets of headphones; rock solid construction build; great led front metering; ability to monitor two headphone ports; etc., etc.... Yes, the only downside is firewire, but it's not a major deal breaker by any means...

...wow... they just raised the price to $595! I'm lucky I got it at $100 less.

• Given the open choice now with PT9-10 and after PT Media composer or whatever they going to call it - I probably wouldn't put that particular box as a first choice, in my humble opinion. Can think of several far more acoustically and feature-attractive options.

• @soundgh2 You've tested the mbox 3 pro? I'm happy to learn about something superior at this price point.

For me, I wanted an all-in-one audio interface (with good pres) primarily for use with PT 10. And something that will last me several years. (If it's impossible at some point to get a good computer / soundcard with firewire 400, then I'll just get a firewire to usb converter.)

BTW, the mbox 3 line has really improved over the previous generation, which had some issues. Here's a review: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2762705-Avid-Mbox-Pro-Computer-Interface-Now-with-Conclusions

• No - but spec wise - and not wanting to get my chum at Avid the sack who says it's the same old shit as before the sack - I'd probably go for something on the RME front to be sure of attaining that sonic glory I'm sure you are looking for at that price point :p

PS I own 3 Avid Omnis an the pres stink IMHO - but you get what you pays for as with everything