Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Comparing NTG5 vs AT 875r
  • I have owned the 875r for about 10 years now and I like it a lot, but saw a pretty good deal on the NTG5 and decided to add it to my small (2 shotguns, 1 very cheap cardioid and 4 lavalieres) collection.

I put both microphones 8 cm away in parallel with the front of their interference tube at the same height. I spoke a bit and used my phone to generate white noise (which I understand by the nature of the crappy speaker on a phone will be not anywhere close to real white noise, plus there is a lot of noise in London which overlaps with my test) and placed it around the microphones using a measuring tape to keep the distances where I wanted them. The recorder was my also 10 year old Tascam DR-680 which has pretty decent preamps in my experience and both channels were set to the same gain.

The main takeaways:

The NTG-5 is noticeably hotter. The NTG-5 rejects way more noise to the sides. The AT-875r has a low cut that works great (I actually like my voice better with the unprocessed AT-875r)

You can download the file here if you want to hear it yourself.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eatefYMnykOYERRRcEC8GuBPbhL3W32i/view?usp=sharing