Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Industry rumors: In some segments camera market volume can drop 70% this year
  • Some retail channel representatives told me that they expect that some of camera market segments can drop as much as 70%. This can include cheapest 3x zoom compacts and longest premium ultrazoom large sensor cameras.

Panasonic m43 sales in US can drop around 35% YoY due to lack of any good new products and very conservative approach to prices. Panasonic lenses sales can drop 40% YoY. Another of my sources told about high tensions in US and EU branches.

Panasonic S line bodies and lenses preorders and initial delivery amount is around 65% of initial planned (this include first correction to lower amount during CP++ time!), with S1R and most expensive lenses being at around 35% of planned.

Canon still holding quite strong in entry level and top segments. But middle segment is very weak. Total drop is expected to be 30%.

Z-CAM sales are very disappointing also. Among cinema cameras BM is going strong, not being able to fulfill orders, as usual.

We can see Olympus and Pentax actions and some announcements closer to year end. Both companies are barely alive with constant swings and very tense relations with retail. Ricoh also lost almost all sales of 360 cameras and GR III sales initial preorders are bad. They carefully organized with few top review sites and people some nice happy reviews, but it won't help much. Olympus is doing similar things moving to tight personal relations and extreme attention to every major review and feedback. Reviewers and related people are informed that harsh or doubtful feedback will result to instant ban from any further information and bodies.

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Very bad news. I can see myself how bad situation is now.