Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Great Session Players
  • As a birthday present to myself, I'm starting a thread to highlight good session players I've worked with (and encourage others to mention ones they have enjoyed as well). Mentioning my name (Per Lichtman, as opposed to "thepalalias") might be helpful to you when booking.

The first one will have a link but the others will have names only until I dig them up for you. :)

This post will be updated as I have time and more contact info.

Violin:

Jeff Edward Ball

Here's the quick link to the violin performance section of his site. http://jeffedwardball.com/wordpress/?page_id=12

I've enjoyed Jeff's music since late 2003 or early 2004 where we met while working toward our respective composition degrees. He's played in the Seattle and Walla Walla symphonies, appeared on several high profile game soundtracks (from Bioware to LucasArts) and is a composer and arranger himself. He also engineered Katlin Rivers vocal recording for my 2009 single "Escalation".

Some of the reasons he's a great session player is work ethic, lack of ego, consistency, flexibility and professionalism. He's a chameleon, able to decipher and deliver a variety of styles with a special talent for emulation when called for.

He's capable of transcribing or arranging parts from recordings and of course can do his own bowings, so you don't need to hire a separate arranger to use him. He's also a capable conductor.

He can record sessions in his own project studio in his own time (his preference and the cheapest option) but is also available for on-site recordings (provided travel is covered). He is currently based in eastern Washington State.

Nimrod Nol

Nimrod's sessions first appeared in my work over half a decade ago in "Not Here". His diverse performances have included everything from touring with Kelly Clarkson to multi-ethnic electronica groups as well as ongoing collaborations with my frequent partner, Joanna St. Claire (notably on our album "Stream").

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/stream/id375698520

He's a passionate player with the aura of a mystic or (if you'll pardon the non-PC term) gypsy who can coax some truly visceral and primal timbres out of the violin. He's an adept improviser that has created many of the parts I've heard him play on the spot and demand - he's great at playing by ear.

Nimrod is currently based in Israel and does not have his own studio.

Guitar:

Roberto Montero

• Acoustic Guitar
    • Brazilian Guitar
    • Electric Guitar

http://robertomontero.com/

In addition to his site, you can hear Roberto Monetero's work on the Joanna St. Claire album I co-engineered, "Stream" where (among other pieces) his work as a guitarist vocalist, vocalist (and his spoken word) are featured on the track "Jasmine".

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/stream/id375698520

You can see more of his bio on his site.

Roberto is a soft-spoken acoustic, Brazilian and electric guitar performer (he also does good backup vocals or vocal harmonies). He also speaks Portuguese as well as English and his vocal harmonies blend well with both male and female vocalists. I would characterize his Brazilian guitar playing in particular as beautiful and effortless. While providing him with an arrangement is obviously helpful and preferrable, he's good at improvisation.

Roberto is currently based in the Los Angeles area. I have only worked with him on-site but seem to remember that he can provide recordings on his own as well.

Okay, that gets things started - I've got to get to a mixing session or I would continue. :)

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks. I made some formatting. Try to do it next time yourself for long posts. Thanks again.

• Thanks V-K. Sorry, was rushing to get it done.