Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
1080/60p for the AF101?
  • I'm not sure whether this is entirely a hack, but I found a comment in the official Facebook page for Panasonic USA, which states the following:

Panasonic Pro Video

To support 1080/60p AVCHD recording, considerations have to be made in both hardware and software in order to achieve the necessary processing speeds. It is possible to do with the AC160, since we took it into consideration from the first steps of development.
    We believe that it would be quite difficult to achieve on the AF100, but our engineers are going to explore the possibility. However, they are all currently busy, working hard developing future products, so it may take quite some time to perform such an exploration.
    17 November 2011 at 01:20 · Like
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Meaning?
    As I remember AF100 is able to shoot 1080p60 already.
    Just without sound.
  • Yup, you are right. AF100 can do 1080p60.
  • Hmmm. Well, I own an AF101, and according to this it only does 1080i at 60 fps.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/af100/feature03.html

I think they are talking about non-interlaced 1080p, not 1080i.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Your statement is both true and not true at the same time. The AF100/101 does record 1080 60p without audio internally. The 1080 60p signal is converted to 1080 60i in the SDI and HDMI streams (1080 60p can not come out SDI and HDMI), but the audio always comes out the SDI port, HDMI port, and headphone jack regardless of framerate. So even though the Audio isn't recorded on 1080 60p internally, it can be recorded externally via Nanoflash, Samurai, Ninja, audio recording devices, etc, and then you can sync it with the internally recorded video in post. It's a round about way of doing things, but I can verify it is possible and I have done it myself.
  • ahbleza, 1080 60p is not a standard recording setting but can be achieved by running in 30p with a 60p frame rate, or "overcrank" which will record a slow motion clip without sound. It can then be sped up in post back to real time, creating 60p. I didn't realize the audio signal was available via the SDI port, though, I thought you had to use an external recorder such as a Zoom. Well technically you still need some type of external recorder, but you can use the XLR inputs on the camera. That's cool.