Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 slower timelapse with intervalled stills, how ?
  • Is it possible to make a timelapse slower than 300% with intervalled stills in the gh2?

Thanks
  • 19 Replies sorted by
  • I would go to http://www.personal-view.com, its a great site. Then enter the term "timelapse" into the black box on the upper right, hit the "Go" button. This search function is indeed nice, as it prevents users to open new treads on already existing topics which otherwise clutter the place.
    Thx in advance.
  • @Meierhans

I searched already, no results as "GH2 Timelapse", incredibly without "GH2" there are many GH2 results, something not working good with search feature..
  • @Meierhans
    anyway I'm searching stills timelapse, not 1080p timelapse nor mjpeg timelapse (the only timelapse results if you make a search). Thanks
  • You will need an external timer. Itm there is no other way. Note that the mechanical shutter is rated below 100.000 cycles, shooting intense timelapse will break your GH2 pretty fast. Thats why most people went the other route.
  • @robbie75vr

Search here is not working like on Google.
    If you enter "GH2 Timelapse", it'll search for exact match.
    Enter "+GH2+Timelapse" if you just need two words to be present.
  • MJPEG is another option. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/595/mjpeg-fps-setting-for-timelapse-on-gh2/p1
    In some cases it might work better than photo timelapse.
  • Anyway, you can always use electronic shutter, like i did.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    thanks for the suggestion !

@stonebat
    I saw that thread but it's a bit complicated for my hack knowloedge, i wait for the "timelapse for dummies" thread eheh

@sylwester
    what electronic shutter do you use ? (url) thanks!!!

I think I will continue to shoot timelapse with my nikon d300s and import the edited stills as image sequence.. I'll take a look at that thread again anyway and see.. I like to do timelapse with stills raw files for the better color editing capabilities.

• I'm using model like this one and it's working just fine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timer-Remote-Cord-Panasonic-GF1-GH1-G10-G2-G1-LUX3-/220806423928

timer_remote.JPG
    300 x 300 - 19K
  • @tonalt

ah great thanks, I didn't konw about this product for gh2.

@Meierhans
    hey man, see how sometime a new topic is not a bad thing.. that's how discussion forums should work imho...
  • Yeah, sorry for beeing so rude. Still I would step away doing timelapse with intervallometer due to the low build quality of GH2 mechanical shutter. Its somewhere between 70.000 and 100.000 releases, thats something like 40-60 minutes of timelapse footage @ 25 fps. Then you will need to replace the shutter.
    Better use another cam for this if you have one.
  • no problem man, thanks anyway. I need timelapse with 1 frame every 10 seconds.. so no big problem, but maybe I 'll keep doing them with the Nikon , so that I'll have the gh2 free for filming while waiting and I'll have better quality of the timelapse.. but that 20 bucks intervallometer is very nice, I'll buy one.

• @robbie75vr, read the comments in the video that sylwester posted. All of the info is there. The electronic shutter is built into the GH2.
  • @balazer
    oh thanks will do that for sure... thanks
  • @sylwester:
    this electronic shutter cant use long exposure times, right? your lapse is a little stuttery on my monitor
  • I shoot a ton of timelapse stills on various Panasonics and Canons. The shutter ratings are often conservative: I'll often shoot 15,000 on one camera in a day but only replace the shutter once or twice a year for the 50D.

You know what camera has a surprising longevity? The lowly TZ5. Hundreds of thousands of exposures so far and no signs of stopping.
  • @fatpig
    It was my first timelapse and new intervalometer test. I took a picture every 5 seconds, but it was too slow for high speed clouds. SonyVegas is not so good in making timelapses too.
    In burst mode (electronic shutter) the longest exposure is 1/40 s, unfortunately.
  • @sylwester Out of the many editing programs I use, Sony Vegas is one of my favorites for timelapse. What are the issues you are having and what is the method you are using to load your timelapse?

Are you using "import media", checking the sequence box in the lower hand and corner and then specifying the frame rate you want? Or are you using the "specify time for each frame" method?

Are you getting crashes when you exceed a certain number of timelapse clips at once? Or is it the playback performance that's bothering you?
  • @thepalalias
    "specify time for each frame" method. Is the first one better?