Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Manual lenses, exposure compensation, Auto ISO and Panasonic G Cameras
  • Hi there, I know it's kind of an old issue, but maybe some of you have found a workaround this.

I use G6 / GX80(85) / GH2 and all three works fine with :

• Shutter Priority Mode
    • Auto ISO.
    • Exposure Compensation above or under the mid-point.
    • Electronically detected lenses (aperture settable by the body).

BUT.

I just can't change the ExpComp while using a Manual Lens. It's just staying to zéro.

It works but only in Program or Aperture Priority mode, the cameras changes both Auto ISO and/or Shutter Speed (not Aperture as it is only changeable on the lens barrel, not electronically).

I've noted that in P or A mode the Camera tries to avoid flickering. However during lighting transitions or in extreme settings the Shutter Speed seems to be used as a last resort for exposure compensation, producing momentary flickering. It's just a guess though, not quit sure.

As I have to protect my highlights, I'm used to set ExpComp to -2/3, especially in case of a high contrast and frequent changing scene (live events).

If anyone have a clue to address this I will be greatly thankful.

Cheers !

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Panasonic seems to guide us using full manual or full auto because they make artificial limitations to A, S, P and auto iso modes. For example not showing exposure values. So you may need to use full manual. idynamic protects highlights by underexposing image and lifting shadows/gamma. It may be one solution but the IQ may suffers with higher iso.

• That's a real bummer. I guess I have to sell a kidney and my SLR Magic 12 mm T 1.6 to buy a Panasonic Leica 12 mm f 1.4 then :o