Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Libya opinion
  • by Dan Simpson,

Two questions troubled me over Memorial Day: Why is the United States destroying Libya, and why do I care?

For nearly three months America and its pony pal Pokeys -- Denmark, France, Italy, Norway and the United Kingdom -- have been busily destroying Libya.

The war started out as at least vaguely comprehensible and well-meaning. Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi had responded to the Arab Spring stirrings against his government with furious threats against the Libyan population. The U.N. Security Council, at the urging of three permanent members (France, the United Kingdom and the United States) but with significant abstentions by Brazil, China, Germany, India and Russia, agreed to military action to protect Libyan civilians from the potential ravages of the government's armed forces. That limited objective made some sense in humanitarian terms.

Libyan rebels launched an effort to oust Mr. Gadhafi from power but quickly ran out of gas. The allies began fighting under the banner of NATO, with the United States in principle having handed over leadership of the effort -- which became, clearly, aimed at regime change, allegedly a "no, no" for the regime of President Barack Obama because it saw this as a major fault of the preceding administration of President George W. Bush. The allies, having eliminated Mr. Gadhafi's air power, began bombing not only government military targets but also making parts of Tripoli, the Libyan capital, look like Joplin, Missouri, after the tornado. This was done in the name of hitting military installations, although it has become evident that Mr. Gadhafi himself was their real target.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11152/1150408-374-0.stm#ixzz1OBRDRQr5

Funny to read. Cinical position about operation that, ideally, must make leaders of US,UK and Frace being prisoners in War Tribunal.
  • 21 Replies sorted by
  • In my opinion it is not funny. Why ? Because people are dying and its not funny it is terrible. There is no fair war so when someone want to fight,must be effective. NATO and EU are very incompetent. They have no rational idea how to fight with Gadhafi and what to do after the war. I think if someone want to be evil he must be consequent. Gadhafi knows for what he fight. Why NATO fights ? For protection of civilians ? Ha ha ha . I don't think so. They fight for oil. It is another oil war. Of course I I do not defend Gadhafi . He is another terrible man spotted with blood who defend his power but winners of this war will write the history of this war.
  • I is very simple. People usually judge others according to their beliefs and values.
    And according to them, Caddafy must be long gone with money in his pockets.
    But it is not happening. Because this guys is just thousands meters above them.
    So motherfuckers do not know that to do about this.
  • In the title thankfully "opinion" mentioned - as 99% of the U.K. have no idea why we're bombing a land without being asked or told why - not in our name comes to mind.
  • >99% of the U.K. have no idea why we're bombing a land without being asked or told why - not in our name comes to mind

This article gives pretty cinical answer - oil.
    I'll add second part to this - water (Libya have access to wast amounts of water in lake under the desert).
    It is as simple as that - if your debt is larger and larger sometimes people stop belive in you and won't sell you oil for paper - so, you need to own one to get it for free.
  • The oil question is simple : would Syria have oil they would have entered already.
  • >would Syria have oil they would have entered already

Don't understand that you mean here.
  • There's a definite agenda for western countries to interfere where there is oil. The Syrian government has exercised great violence against its people, but to date there's no plan for any interference.
  • >The Syrian government has exercised great violence against its people, but to date there's no plan for any interference.

Are you so sure about both statements?
    All information that you know comes from Katar and US/UK TV.
    Sirya is very important in other aspects, just Russia (having military base) and China protect it now.
  • He who speaks in Syria, this holds the key to Middle East.To THE OIL. So, So, who votes that Syria will be next? Does the opposition of Russia, China and Iran prevent war? Without a balance this world will blow away because most of our production of energy is from ancient technology .
  • USSR was the balance.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

>Are you so sure about both statements?

No, i am not. It is merely my own deduction.
  • >No, i am not. It is merely my own deduction.

Look at the map to understand why they need Sirya and Yemen.
    After this look at the main trade routes for China and India (plus add Israel lobby :-) ).
    Yemen especially do not have anything very useful except location :-)
  • >Look at the map to understand why they need Sirya and Yemen.

So you think the uprising in Yemen is planned from abroad?
  • >think the uprising in Yemen is planned from abroad?

At least their goverment tell so.
    Looking at their population income you can say that they do not have many things to loose.
    They won't live better, of course.
    But new "democratic" goverment will be very useful in case of trade war with China.

I also like peaceful demonstrations armed with laser guided missiles.
  • @GOODEMPIRE
    You have got damn right but for us,living in small countries, the assessment of who was good and who is wrong is not so clear. Look for example, Poland and Cuba.
  • One of the theories is that US giverment debt limit upping problems can be just punishment for not archieving very important goal in overall plan (I mean Libya). Same theory says that it could be not oil or water, but idealogy that can be sole cause of all country problems. During future economic collapse western goverments do not want their citizens to see any alternatives, especially ones that can hurt them.
  • Oil, water, gold. Could be any reason.
  • >People were willing to walk into the bullets they no longer cared to live under tyranny

Are you sure about this?
    Sounds like propaganda to me.
  • @kainekainekaine

I also do not understand abstract "freedom".
    Iraq has "real freedom", but hundreds of thousands who died don't give a shit about it.
    Most others also will be glad to fuck all this keepers of "freedom".

Right now all I see in Libya is real war and mostly informational war.
    BBC, CNN, Russian main TV channels, Euronews look now as best pupils of dr. Gebbels.
    No shame or conscience.
  • Its a real revolution. Libya is very different from the rest of the Arab Spring though.
  • Strange post :-)
    Where are no abstract "freedom".
    And people do not fight "for freedom" (even if they tell you so).
    And before telling that "its a real revolution" I sugges to go and learn situation, read both sides.
    Every opinion is valuable, but you must back your personal opinion up by facts.
    And with Libya, you are pretty fucked up.