Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Shooting 25p in Slow-Mo and Normal Speed
  • Now that the new firmware is released - I want to make a video in 25p, that features both normal speed footage and also in slow-motion (not drastically slow).

How do you guys suggest I go about doing this?
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • well, i suggest you would shoot one in 108025p and one in 720-50p - thats common. and also the only viable option, since without the hack you cant shoot 720 -60p.
  • Try Twixtor

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

If you use it right you get all slomo u need
  • otcx meant to say: after you've slowed your 50p footage down to 25p, you can try to slow the result down even more using software like twixtor. but this has mixed results. most of the time half the speed is slow enough. :)
  • @fatpig

Just what i mean to say.
  • I would wait with the updating, record in 24p quantum, conform to 25p (nobody will notice..). Then use either 1080i50 or 1080i60 or 720p50/60 for the slomos. 1080i will give you more horizontal resolution, but only about 540 vertical. 720p.. well.. its 1280*720.

Make sure to set the shutter twice the value you used for 24p, so if you shot with 50 before it should be something around 100.

If you plan to use Twixtor or similar use the shortest shutter you can get with your lighting, make sure your background is alot different from your subject. Use Reelsmart Motion Bur in After Effects to add motion blur later.

good luck
  • @Meierhans So as for the slow motion - with both 1080i50/60 or 72050/60p, do I drop them in the 24p timeline along with the normal speed 1080/24p footage? It will automatically be in slow mo if I do that?

If that's the case, can't I shoot 1080/25p for normal speed, have a 25p timeline - and drop either 1080i50/60 or 72050/60p into that?

Cheers
  • In the moment you can not record 25p (new firmware) and use the high bitrate patches (old firmware). This might change in the next days however.

If you don´t wanna mess with details and are happy with medium quality (for web delivery f.e.) just use the new firmware. Record 1080p25 & 720p50. Trow the 720p files into timeline, scale them to match size, set speed to 50 %, disable frame blending.
  • @Meierhans Yeah for the time being I'll just use the new timeline, and go by your advice. So setting the speed of the 720p50 footage will disable frame blending? How much will it affect the speed?
  • No, setting the speed to 50% (guess how fast it plays then) does not turn of frame blending. You need to do this yourself.