Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GX80/85 stops recording at variable times.
  • I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one. Most people are reporting that they can shoot until their stock battery is completely drained about about an hour and a half. I tested this last week and it seemed to be the case for me as well. However I've rigged up a DC coupler and attached it to a much higher capacity battery expected to record longer and now the camera seems to stop around an hour (within 10 minutes of) before recording stops (camera remains powered on). I also am using a different memory card, could that be the problem (it's a fairly new high end sandisc card)? There's no problem with the video file, and the camera is warm to the touch but I don't think it's overheated. If it might be a card problem, is there a best way to format the card? I've just formatted via the camera.

Thanks in advance, any info is helpful.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Measure the voltage from the DC brick. When it stops recording, measure the voltage from the battery. If it's too low, get a variable power bar from amazon.
    Use the new card with the old battery to rule out the card, or try a different card.

• Thanks DrDave, I didn't have a multi meter or anything to check the voltage but, that may have been the issue. I switched to a different battery brick and the problem stopped. I was able to record for 4 hours continuously until I stopped the camera myself. It seems that the GX85 is a solid camera for extended shooting (when paired with an external battery).