Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Interesting post about SSD
  • http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html

General point that they are hardly reliable due to cheap MLC chips (especially if you have small space left and XP or Vista without TRIM).
    I also can't go back to HDD as main sytem drive.
    Author also thinks that it'll be more reliable techology in the future. It won't be, at least in near future. 25nm flash is much much worse :-) But cheaper.
    Moral is pretty simple, buy few 2Tb drives and backup all on them (or even use dedicated home server for this).
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • The proportional hot/crazy scale. So true! The question is how crazy...

Unless one restarts machine or apps in every hours and work on uncompressed data, what's good about SSD?
  • >Unless one restarts machine or apps in every hours and work on uncompressed data, what's good about SSD

Just try it.
    Hard disk performance today is main bottleneck. So, performance increase is very easy to spot.
  • I have Intel SSD on win7 desktop. It flies. Reboot fast. Load apps & plug-ins fast. But... that's about it. I don't reboot machines everyday. Sometimes I leave apps for days.

My bottlenecks are from transcoding & rendering & exporting. Mostly GPU, CPU, software encoding/decoding related.
  • >My bottlenecks are from transcoding & rendering & exporting. Mostly GPU, CPU, software encoding/decoding related.

Your work is just not typical for average user, even for ones using GH1/GH2.
    If you are interest in encoding may be RAID using 7200p large drives and best overclocked GPU/CPU will be solution.
  • I guess... I'm entering prosumer level... a very entry level prosumer.

I transcoded MTS to DNxHD 175x 10bit then imported the mov file. The playback was slow. I think the bottleneck was the disk reading because of the enormous file size of the transcoded file. DNxHD 115 8bit had no such issue. There seems a balance between CPU/GPU horse power and disk access speed. I want neither highly compressed files nor highly uncompressed files.

More about DNxHD: http://fp.avid.com/resources/whitepapers/DNxHD.pdf 1080p24 has 175x, 175, 115, and 36. 720p60 has 220x, 220, and 145.

It took 10 mins to export 31 second clip to generate 20MB file. Well... I did AE effects & color grading. AE CS 5.5 has Warp Stabilizer effect, but I heard it's really really slow to process. Again disk access is not a bottleneck. Yeah... I guess I need a new machine but no plan to spend a lot for now. So my workflow will get slower and slower... toward screeching halt. That's just fine. While waiting, I will learn how to play guitar and piano and make my own music :)