Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon vs nikon mount 2015 update
  • Just wanting to check into PV users preference to nikon vs canon mount for lenses. I have always been pro nikon mount for reasons of compatibility- but currently there seems like lots of canon folk are utilizing their lenses on lots of cameras.

Is canon mount the new standard? Thoughts appreciated! Personally I have just invested in the nikon mount to m43 of metabones so very happy with build quality and ruggedness- (tank metal grade), but still interesed in peoples thoughts! ;-)

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • If you want lenses with autofocus with that precious Metabones, then you went into a wrong direction! It is better to have Canon EF lenses. However, if you mainly do manual focus, then it is okay to have Nikon mount. The best thing to do is to return that Metabones Nikon mount to m43 and exchange it with Metabones Canon EF mount to m43. You could always buy Nikon to Canon EF adapter later, but not Canon EF to Nikon.

• If you want lenses with autofocus with that precious Metabones,

Actually this thing also exist http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/12838/m43-to-canon-ef-kipon-adapter-with-af#Item_44 you do not need very pricey metabones only

• @alcomposer

I am pro nikon and noticed the same thing with the Canon lenses. The autofocus doesn't bother me to much but being able to control aperture is actually very important to me. I would prefer to change the aperture via the dials versus the actual aperture ring. The nikon metabones adapter has numbers on it to tell you roughly what aperture you have but it is not accurate. I have manual AIS/D series lenses so this is really a non issue for me to a certain degree. I really wish there was an adapter that allowed me to use my G series lenses whilst controlling the aperture via the dials on a Panasonic/Sony body. Although I really like the older AIS and D series lenses the newer G series lenses from Nikon, Tamron, Sigma etc provide better contrast with less lens flare. So for certain situations say shooting a high key scene I would prefer to use newer lenses.

• @yskunto

Manual only, and when I said recently I was talking about the nikon adaptor set.

Just things I have noticed such as samyang bulk deals for canon not nikon mount...