Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Weird noise issue connecting GH4 to Tascam DR-60D and DR-70D.
  • So I have this weird problem with my GH4 and my Tascam DR-70D (as well as my DR-60D).

When I run an audio source into my GH4 through the microphone jack, it usually works just fine.

However, as soon as I connect my GH4 to either of my Tascams, I get this loud grating noise. It happens regardless of whether I connect to the GH4 via the Camera-Out / Line-Out or the Headphone port on the Tascams. Even weirder, I get the same noise in the GH4 if I plug the cable from its Mic port into the Camera-In / Line-In port on the Tascam.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is some weird electrical problem? I am running both the GH4 and the Tascam off of the same battery supply...

I put together a quick video demonstrating the problem:

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Ok, I tested it using separate batteries, and that was indeed the problem. I get this noise issue any time I have the GH4 and the Tascam plugged into the same battery. Anyone want to take a guess as to how I could resolve this issue, without having to use separate batteries? My rig is about at critical mass.

• Do Tascams take internal AA batteries?

• Sounds like a ground/lift problem. The Riggy has a switch for that, don't know about the Tascam.

• Yeah @matt_gh2 it will take internal AAs, but it eats through batteries like none other.

Is there a way to add a ground to a battery like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111557969893?lpid=82&chn=ps

• Above my skill level. Any electrically-skilled people out there with solution for Sangye?

• I would suggest to try to isolate the current feed from the battery going to the Tascam using a linear regulator (buying and soldering about 5 simple components, total cost roughly $15-$20 or so, probably weigh about 10-20 grams or so). If you can solder things, I can help you with the required schematic and components values.

No guarantee that this will solve your problem though.

• Basically you need to disconnect "lift" the ground from one of the connections. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_lift Seems like you could just solder up a custom mini 3.5mm (1/8") male to male cable without the ground? I am no expert - just throwing ideas out there :) I think you could probably test this by not plugging the mini cable in all the way and seeing if you can get the buzz to disappear momentarily when the +/_ (Tip, Ring) are touching but not the common ground on the sleeve (TRS).

• I'm having the white noise problem with my GH2 and a Tascam DR70D not sure that's the same issue Tascam has not replied to my inquiry on how to fix it.