Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ssd for adobe cache?
  • Im thinkin bout a 128gb 850 evo for Adobe cache and other files, I have a GH4 and think that should be fine. already have 500gb samsung evo for os, page file ect. recommend me to just buy a new 850 128gb evo from newegg?

C: Drive : OS, Programs, Pagefile
    D: Drive : Media, Projects
    E: Drive : Previews, Media Cache, Exports

1. OS / Software / Pagefile = Samsung 840 Pro 500GB SSD
    2. Media / ProjectsMedia Cache / Previews / Exports = Samsung 850 EVO 128gb SSD

somthibng like that? I dont need some huge expensive raid setup jus somthing like that and 2 backup normal 7200rpm drives. 

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Beware that your cache SSD is for cache only and won't survive long if you do deep compositing (I assume you do since you want a SSD for cache). Never put medias in it or render out files since both requires very few memory and write very fast even on a HDD (Writing an openEXR 32 bit float takes virtually less than a second same if compressed. Even 50 multipass are completely obsolete in render time).

• ok well all that sounds pretty foreign to me, because I dont even know what deep compositing is. Like heavy grading effects? I usually do light like that. I never had ssd for adobe cache before I was told it would be somewhat faster than having the cache on a normal hdd. an yeah Ill be putting my media and render out files on a 7200rpm drive once i get a new one.

• @jclmedia

You have to think of what's going on. The reason it is highly recommended to park different "parts" of a PrPro or other NLE/grading/Fx program on different drives is because there can with certain parts be hellacious read/write bits going on, with much of it funneled in and out of the CPU, RAM, & GPU. So rather than stuffing the pipeline of one drive and throttling down the entire project, one starts splitting up those read/write parts.

Forget the wondrous numbers given out for different types of connections ... it's the sustained real-world numbers that matter, and those are typically vastly lower than Theoretical numbers.

• SATA/eSATA are good, especially from SATAII on. -Thunderbolt is also quite good. -USB-3.0 not nearly so good as the two above. In real-world, oft as low as half the speed. -USB-2x ... fuhgedaboutit. Other than for overnight render-out/export or backup work. -USB-3.1 supposedly will deliver good speeds for use, but I've not seen real results on working machines.

As to the bits & pieces, especially for Adobe DVA's (digital video apps ... ) ... these are suggested practices. It takes four to five storage media spots each with a good pipeline/connection to make most computers work well in PrPro. This can be in separate drives each with a good connection, or even better, combine everything but footage and system things on a 4-disc hardware-wired RAID 0/5, then put footage on a separate disk.

Real world, you've only got two fast discs & some choices such as a couple USB-3.0 and 2x external options ... you need to do some mixing & matching, and your mileage may vary so ... which pieces you put together

-Footage ... this is typically a read-only situation, so unless you're dealing with 4k & higher, doesn't need the sustained speeds of the other parts. USB-3.0 with an SSD drive or very fast flash-drive of 32 gigs or better can actually work pretty good for this. It's an inexpensive way to get more paths for the heavy-duty stuff.

-Programs ... yea, they go typically on the OS/system drive. Which is why my builder set up two 250Gb matched SSD's in RAID-0 for system/programs in my machine.

-System cache ... don't know about Mac's, but it at times is good to put this on a second SSD ... but if like mine you've got a RAID of paired SSD's, system cache is fine on the "system" drive. If you're not overly flush with drive options, well ... it's best to just leave it on the system drive. Make sure you ALWAYS have at least half the system drive empty!

-Program/project cache ... ton of in/out on this one. Good if it's all by itself if you can. If not, combine with one of the other tasks.

-Project files ... if you can, separate drive as again, lots of work. If not, combine with one of the other tasks.

-Database files ... this can with some projects be massive, some of mine not so much. I typically group this with the preview files ...

-Preview files ... this one can also be huge IF you do much in the way of effects requiring rendering of timelines within PrPro for playback. These are NOT used in final export-out, btw ... just for in-PrPro playback. You'll want this to have a clean path as well, why bother to render a section into previews if your machine can't read them back quickly enough to play smoothly?

Render-out ... meaning the full end-of-project export to a delivery codec. Best left for overnight work if possible, and then ... heck, a USB-2 external would be ok unless you're putting out a full-length 4k/better feature film ... and then you probably have a machine you don't need to worry about anyway, right?

Neil

• Im thinkin bout a 128gb 850 evo for Adobe cache and other files, I have a GH4 and think that should be fine. already have 500gb samsung evo for os, page file ect. recommend me to just buy a new 850 128gb evo from newegg?

Are you doing this because you are low on space on your primary drive or do you feel that you're IO-constrained? If the former, you might as well buy a bigger disk than 128G and use it for more than just Adobe cache (in general 256G SSD's perform better than 128G to boot). If the latter, you may want to confirm with the Windows resource monitor tool that you're doing enough I/O to actually choke your 840 Pro. In many cases, you'll probably find that you're CPU-bound (or memory-bound) before you get disk-bound on an SSD.

Beware that your cache SSD is for cache only and won't survive long if you do deep compositing (I assume you do since you want a SSD for cache). Never put medias in it or render out files since both requires very few memory and write very fast even on a HDD (Writing an openEXR 32 bit float takes virtually less than a second same if compressed. Even 50 multipass are completely obsolete in render time).

Even a cache SSD (assuming a modern drive) is likely to last for a pretty long time unless you're rendering 24x7. Techreport just finished testing 6 SSD's and the weakest died after about 1 petabyte was written to them. http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

• Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz i7 3770k* Gigabyte Z77 DS3H Corsair 16gb 1600mhz 32gb 2400mhz Asus GeForce GTX 780 3Gb
    Samsung 500GB 840 Pro SSD
    2TB 7200 rpm LG DVD Player Zalman CPNS 10x performa Swiftech H240X Cpu cooler* Asus 24' 144hz 1ms monitor 24'-32' LCD/TV 2nd Video editing Windows 7 64bit
    EVGA SuperNova G2 750 Watt

my current setup, 120gb samsung 850 evo comin n week along with icydock drive bay for my 5.25 dvd drive ill be upgrading the i5 to i7 soon. should be decent enough to edit gh4 4k files right? specially with the ssd cache drive, So do I just put the adobe prem, and after effects cache on there for other things too?