Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
My GH3/lens makes "motor" noise even in manual when motionless
  • I just got a GH3 and I'm using a Lumix 14-140 F3.5-5.6 zoom. As soon as I attach the lens and turn the camera on--even if the camera is in manual mode, with manual focus--if my ear is within, say, 3" of the camera (the side where the lens attaches), I hear a subtle but unmistakable noise that sounds a bit like a grinding motor but that you could also convince me is something electronic.

Does the GH3--or could my lens--have a motor that runs even when the camera is in manual mode (even for stills), set on manual focus, and is simply sitting there, pointed at a surface with a constant exposure?

I've got the OIS switch turn off on the lens, as well as every camera function I can think of.

The only time that the sound goes away is when the camera is in "Scene" mode--but as soon as a scene setting is "set," the noise comes back.

I have updated the camera to the 1.2 firmware.

I've never worked with a DSLR before, and I'm a bit of a newbie in general (most interested in video). Is this normal?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • I think it is your lens issue. Nothing to do with camera. Suggest to go to service center to check.