Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4/Surface Pro external recorder/monitor 10bit 4:2:2
  • Hi,

is it possible to get a surface pro tablet/laptop to be used as a monitor/external recorder? Would be a perfect solution as an external 10 bit 4:2:2 recorder/Monitor because has an amazing full HD monitor and fast 64GB/128GB/256GB SSD drives.

Any solution for this? Any ideas?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I think you'd have trouble with a tablet. A laptop would be much less of a problem, if you were happy to shoot 'tethered'.

• My take on this is that surface pro is a tablet that is basically a laptop. It uses intel CPU's and 64 bit windows. What do you mean by shooting tethered?

Thank you

• Does the surface pro have some form of capture in and out? What software would you use and over what connection? How do you connect the hard drives to the surface pro? A few questions to start.

Shooting tethered means shooting tied to a capture device - usually a laptop.

• Any solution for this? Any ideas?

I doubt about any solutions and even logic behind it.

Tablets do not have any suitable inputs and you won't connect HDMI to it.
    They are not designed to run at high CPU load (required to do compression and such). As soon as you do it they start throttling CPU due to heat and also live very short period of time on battery.
    Their internal memory is very limited and soldered (won't last long, in other words).
    Their MicroSD controllers are usually not fast.
    Their screens (except few tablets) are not really proper sRGB.