Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Facebook: Another 2 billions went to waste
  • Facebook plans to purchase Oculus VR, maker of the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset, for $2 billion. The deal is comprised of $400 million in cash and 23.1 million shares of Facebook stock. Facebook announced its surprise purchase via a blog post.

"Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences," Zuckerberg says. "Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate."

Fun thing is that they spent 2 billions on the thing that cost nothing, made entirely for selling, thing that do not generate any income, thing that is using cheap Chinese manufactured screens from smartphones and calls it innovative technique.

Why is such strange purchase date? It seems like they waited for any real similar product and as soon as Sony announced their really working stuff (same cheap FullHD screen from smartphone) company had been sold of at the hurry.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah I don't get it either. On the other hand, I know some people who work at FB, and they're some smart F'ers. So they must know something we don't. Could it be some response to Google Glass? Seems like a lot of money to pay.

• It's only a waste if it is burned. That money will get spent somewhere. Might even benefit some of us.

• I know some people who work at FB, and they're some smart F'ers. So they must know something we don't.

Of course many smart people work at Facebook. But it does not mean that purchases of this big artificially inflated giants have any meaning.

• The purchase is mostly paper, only 400 mil cash. The rest is stock transfer. It is a clever way to inject value in a stock that has little tangible value.

• IMHO Facebook itself is way over rated. The great majority of their users are kids, which tells you something about the company itself

So really men surf the Personal View, women surf Amazon, and kids surf FB, most of the times.

• Facebook seems to enjoy buying things with a large installed (or projected) user base. What they've yet to realize is how many people will move to another application, due to their dislike of Facebook's principles, once the ownership changes hands.

• The great majority of their users are kids

This is not accurate, and definitely not the trend. Young user base is actually diminishing while older user base is rapidly increasing:

http://istrategylabs.com/2014/01/3-million-teens-leave-facebook-in-3-years-the-2014-facebook-demographic-report/

What they've yet to realize is how many people will move to another application, due to their dislike of Facebook's principles, once the ownership changes hands.

Which FB acquisitions are you referring to, or is this just a theory? So far, the really large acquisitions are only growing after being acquired. Of course, this may change, but for now I don't see the evidence to support your claim.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/instagram-user-base-crosses-200-million-mark/#!BzKN4

• More simple DIY like 3D thing:

• I myself personally use something very similar to this. Nvidia's 3D vision which is AMAZING when it has no problems but around 75% or more of games present problems. this new type of shutter 3d hd systems have not really been perfected yet. I think they should wait till 3d is really perfected before they release something like this.

• It is so fun to watch how they steal millions a day.