Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 720p 50p vs. GH2 720p 50p
  • Hi Guys,

Has anyone got experience with GH1 720p 50p Hacked footage vs. GH2 720p 50p Hacked footage? And whether the GH2 is noticeably better resolution/low light/quality, and a reason to upgrade? (I'm PAL uk based)

Thanks
    Jon
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • GH2 720 BEST!
    GH1 720 very very bad!
  • Yes, the GH2 has a much better 720p mode than the GH1. There's more resolution (by a large margin).

The GH1's 720p is more standard def than high def, and looks fairly fuzzy in comparison to the GH2. Don't get me wrong, the GH1's 720p mode is far better than most other compacts and DSLRs, BUT the GH2's 720p is better. :)
  • I have filmed a martial arts instructional DVD with a hacked GH1 and an unhacked GH2 in 720p.
    Studio with controlled light. Real life takes, no charts and no pixelpeeping.

I was very happy with the result.
    Watching it via HDMI on a monitor, I did not see any big duifference between the 2 cameras, which was good for my purpose.

Maybe when you do a lot of grading, or have bad light or want to film in the dark (GH2 much better) or when you film charts, the differnes may be more

For me, they both produced a very nice and very good matching image to mix between these 2 GH's with no problems.

@Botvinic
    I can not understand your comment. 720/50p of the GH1 was always good, even before the hack, Contrary to 1080, which was pretty rotten on the GH1 before the hack.
  • And I do not understand you:) I have GH1 and GH2, and I think that in GH1 720p very bad! Resolution as in SD ...
  • Not at all. Maby you have a bad model. My 720p of the GH1 is really nice.