Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung galaxy S5

Camera and other specs:

• 16 megapixel sensor
    • Phase detect auto-focus
    • 5.1inch Full HD screen
    • 4K video recording
    • Real-Time HDR video and stills
    • Waterproof to 1m
    • 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145g
    nhk2.jpg
    683 x 728 - 88K
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • Awesome! - 4K for $400! (...or $199 with 2 year contract.) Will be interesting to see how it looks. I shot a test scene for a project last year with a Samsung Galaxy S3 (16Mbps bitrate I think) and it looked damn good. Even held up to color grading well. I'm not selling my GH2 yet but this could be fun to play with.

• @matt_gh2

Something tells me that 4K recording will be present even in quite cheap compacts close to the year end.

• I guess as sensors and fast processors get cheaper and better, the differentiator in quality will be the lenses. I wonder if great lenses can be made cheaper.

• I'm amazed that Samsung has 4K phone but no 4K camera. But this looks interesting.

• I wonder if hacking for some form of raw/less compressed video is possible. But I don't expect there's a lot more to squeeze from these sensors. And if there are pixels lost to the PD AF in this, I expect it will perform similarly or worse than my Note 3, which is already not so great in low light.

I look forward to the first video posts!

• There is some Android app like Filmic Pro for iOS, which allows to change the framerate and bitrate?

• There might be more capacity that can be hacked, if Samsung set default compression levels high in order that file sizes stay small and not take up memory too quick for regular user (or require expensive microSD cards).

• Larger 0.28in sensor with an increased 1.241µm pixel size. Interested to see some video samples.

• Just a matter of time methinks.

I'm amazed that Samsung has 4K phone but no 4K camera. But this looks interesting.

• Oh great...now thieves are going to resort to cutting people's fingers off to hack into their account.

You can check some samples and comparison at

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/samsung-galaxy-s5-camera.shtml

nikon_v10.jpg
    800 x 522 - 78K
  • was actually looking at this phone for my next upgrade. Does it offer colour profiles? Cause all the video's I have seen are super saturated and crushed. I guess i have to remember it is a phone first ha.

• @MarcioK there is a such android application : lgCamera . Here the link: http://rubberbigpepper.com/en/lgCamera and a demo I found on youtube:

and another topic here on this forum: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5345/is-time-to-hack-some-camera-phone-

• @dadix Will take a look. Thanks. :)

• Once you've racked up a total of five minutes of calls in the approved region, you should be good to use your GS5 on any carrier, anywhere in the world. It's not exactly ideal, but at least the sticker fully explains the idea of activation, which wasn't mentioned on the Note 3 box.

http://www.androidcentral.com/heres-how-region-locking-works-european-samsung-galaxy-s5

• Disclaimer: making more than 5 minutes of film in EU soil with your future brand-new GH4 do not remove the 30 min. restriction.

:)

• Samsung Galaxy 4K Video:

Edited in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 and exported in XAVC S 4K.

• How good is the Samsung 4K video? Well, let's use the benchmark of the Sony AX100.

Identical scenes shot at the same time. AX100 followed by the Galaxy S5 for each scene.

Outdoors on a dark, gloomy rainy day. Indoors, lighted by incandescent bulbs.

Select 2160, 1440 or 1080.

Can AX100 4K footage be mixed with S5 4K footage?

• Galaxy S 5 Focus Tests

Five scenes:

1. Focus hold: Shift the camera away from the central object. Object stays in focus even though now on edge of scene.

2. Focus shift: Shift the camera away from the central object and have the camera move focus to the subject in the background.

3. Focus pull: Stationary camera. Change focus from object in foreground to background and back.

4. Focus hold again.

5. Focus shift again.

The camera does very well.

• Here's a real video, similar to ones I have made with "real" cameras and camcorders, of a short trip to NYC taken with the Samsung Galaxy S 5 in its 4K mode:

You can download the UHD original (edited in Sony Vegas Pro 12 using XAVC S at 100 Mbps).

There are low-light and bright-light shots: train stations, in the subway, Lincoln Center, Union Square, Washington Square Park. Flowers, fountains, tourists, diners, a piano performance, flags, shooters, and travelers.

• Samsung Galaxy 4K Video, Final cut x , Macbook Pro i7 16gb ram, 200gb ssd

• As Android is open source, it wouldn't even be necessary to waste time for hacking this. As soon as Samsung will publish the codes, one will can go with compiling and improve phone camera performance of the S5

• Still curious about 24p--can you hack the xml file? Quality looks great.