Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Something new from canon on the 3rd of November
  • According to Chris Hurd from dvinfo.net, Canon will make a big announcement in Hollywood on Nov.3rd.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/500720-something-new-canon-nov-3rd.html
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • Seems like it goes in line with this rumor about a 4K S35 Video Camera in 2012 and an EF mount version even sooner (2011):

http://wideopencamera.com/cameras/rumor-canon-4k-s35-video-camera-announce-november-2011/
  • 2.7 crop mirrorless camera, or it'll be 3.7 to be better than Nikon :-)
    Something like it.
  • Maybe its a new line of Cinema lenses.
  • @bleach551 That announcement already happened a few months back:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024802da80a

Which can mean only one thing....right? :-)

FK30-300_675x450.jpg
    675 x 506 - 92K
    FK14_5-60_675x450.jpg
    675 x 506 - 85K
  • perhaps they have devised a device by which pigs are gifted the ability and inclination to fly. Who knows. Some say its a "AF100 Competitor", some say its the "5DIII". Variations include speculations on that crazy huge sensor that they stuck on some telescope, and that intimates shop item that they claimed was for testing "4k processor". yea. sure it was a hair dryer ;)

Mix and match these, and you get all the different spculations . . . I say wait and see, 'cause who really knows? (I personally hope it bodes well for my piggy friends.)
  • It will definitely be a 4K + Camera no doubt about it I will bet money on that one..
  • @Ian_T,

Didn't see that, Thanks for posting it. I really hope it is a new DSLR or a New S35 4K cinema camera with technology that will be used in a future DSLR line. I wouldn't think Canon would hype this event up in Hollywood just to release a new compact Mirror-less 2X+ cropped sensored camera.
  • My bet is also 4k and 35mm camera (basically Epic/F65 competitor and AF100/FS100 competitor). I don't believe Canon (a photo company) will announce a flagship photography product (Mark III) at a Hollywood film event. That would send a very wrong message to their photography user base. These are going to be film cameras. Mirrorless would be announced in Japan anyway, biggest market.
  • I believe ,like Chris Barcellos at Dvinfo.net, that It might be some kind of short film contest hosted by canon. If you use a Canon camera and win, A hollywood studio, along with Canon, will back you financially to help you make it into a film.
  • My guess is not a 4K camera, just 1080p RAW or 1080p 4:2:2 50mBit on new body with EF/PL mount options...

Why? Vincent Laforet, Canon Explorer of Light Photographer/Director of famous 5D Mark II video ,
    is on NDA with Canon and previously said he RENTS big equipment.

Something changed a couple months ago when Vince goes and BUYS a Red EPIC-M...

Why would someone outlay that big cash, if they
    KNEW a Canon 4K camera was only months away?

I hope I'm wrong and they invented an 8K photo/video camera body...
  • Canon accidentally stumbled upon the whole DSLR thing since the Canon DSLR's were originally intended for still photographers to take quick video snip-its and were not intended for filmmakers and filmmaking. I believe they sat back and waited to see where the other companies were going to take it before they actually dove purposefully 100% into large sensor cinema camera's. I think years of watching the market and researching to do it right they have finally come up with a major filmmaking line of large sensor cinema camera's.

My guesses:
    2-4 new camera's in the line.
    All models except the top of the line model being a S35 sensor size and the top model being FF35.
    4K resolution for all models with the top of the line one being able to crop to S35/3K (like the RED's loses resolution when cropping their sensors to help with aliasing and moire).
    The models will compete with the AF100 all the way up to the Alexa/Epic.
    Price range will start around $3500 and the Top of the line model will be in roughly the range of the Sony F3.
    Codecs: I can't even guess.
    Framerates: at least 60 maybe 120 on the top model
    ND wheels: All models except base model
    XLR's: Of course
    HDMI: All models
    SDI: All models except base model
    Compact flash and/or SxS media, maybe SSD on the top model
    EF, PL, and a new mount similar to the Sony F3 mount

Keep in mind these are all guesses and are the things I would do if I was in there position. I have zero info or proof of such a camera line.
  • @jaecjaec,

I hope Canon does come out with a newly designed line of pro DSLRs. Ones that will have drastically decrease the amount of Moire and Aliasing presently in their current lineup and that will shoot in "Full" HD. My Canon 7D has been stored in my Pelican case since I purchased and hacked my panasonic gh1(7). I would love to go back to the larger form factor of the 7D or Nikon D7000, but only if I can get close to the image quality of the hacked Gh1/2.
  • Amen to that
  • More news...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/a-new-entry-level-full-frame-camera-cr1/

Boy, these camera companies are so tight lipped. I know Canon quite well, but could not get anyone there to give any hint other than that the 5D MIII are just around the corner.
  • @bleach551 "I believe ,like Chris Barcellos at Dvinfo.net, that It might be some kind of short film contest hosted by canon. If you use a Canon camera and win, A hollywood studio, along with Canon, will back you financially to help you make it into a film."

Yea, this is probably what's going to happen. I really want a new camera system... but this really doesn't sound like a camera announcement.

If it were for a new camera, the slogan would have probably been something like "The future of imaging begins..." instead of "The story begins..."

Although, on second though, there is a rumor of the 6D (or some other DSLR) being announced in a few days... if this is actually a next-gen Canon DSLR... it could be a film festival to launch (and use as incentive) for the new DSLR.
  • @bwhitz,

Like you said bwhitz, "the story begins" sounds like something other than a new camera system, but I will still be hoping.

The 6D sounds good and I hope that if it is announced that I will be a pleasantly surprised by its features, but that "entry level" description in the article Jaecjaec provides a link to, Makes me think it will probably be watered down a lot. I would be surprised if had manual audio controls.

I would love to have an APS-C camera, one like Canon, Sony or Nikon. The sony A-77's "A" mount however, won't accept alot of lenses that I currently use or would like to use in the future. I use my Kowa 2X anamorphic lens all the time now and my Canon 7D, along with the BG-E7 battery grip, helps balance out the weight of any of my "taking" lenses( Nikon 50mm- 105mm) with the Kowa attached very nicely.

My GH1(7) that I have been using solely now simply because of its resolution and overall image, puts my 7D to shame image wise. But, It doesn't have the same weight and feel that My 7D with battery grip has in my hand with a "taking" lens and Kowa anamorphic lens attached. This is something that I miss with the GH1(7) combo. The Sony NEX-7 has all of the features that I like(1.5X crop, Mirror-less, Avchd 2.0, and 1080 60P),except its size and the 24.7 megapixel sensor that I fear will be noisy in low light and that I fear might not be brought down to HD(1920 X 1080) resolution properly for video( aliasing, moire).

• @Danyyyel,

I don't know if anyone knows for sure, but those specs sound plausible. I sold my Canon XH-A1 for my Canon 7D because I liked the form factor of the 7D more than that of the XH-A1. I don't think I would be interested in an FS100/AF100 type form factor, I am probably in the minority in this respect. The DSLR form factor IMHO is more versatile and would fly under the radar of most places that would require a permit for larger format cameras like the FS100/AF100. The price for a camera described in the link above would probably be out of my price range as well, which is anything over $2200. I will just wait and see what Canon "actually" offers as well as what Nikon will offer in a full size DSLR type format over the next few months.
  • @danyyyel
    Those specs aren't too far off my guesses I posted above.
  • @Brian202020,

Maybe they perfected the 4K prototype they showcased last year to include the specs you mentioned. Hopefully the 2-4 cameras you propose will make up this new camera line won't still resemble a hairdryer.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/canons-4k-multipurpose-camera-concept-weakens-knees-shoots-vid/
  • I hope that Jim has good inside info of the Canon cam, because if not it could backfire completely on him. If Canon comes out with a kick ass 4k S35 cam for $ 15 000 or even a 2k S35 10/12 bit high DR camcorder at the FS100/Af100 price they might completely overshadow his scarlet camera.
  • @danyyyel,

Something makes me think that "If" Red does ship the Scarlet before the end of 2011 that it will be more than a competitor for whatever Canon offers, "If" they release the Scarlet. Also, from what I gather from reading on "REDUSER" from Jim Jannard and Jared Land, they feel comfortable putting the Scarlet up against anything Canon will be offering.
  • Red fanboys are on steroid now.
  • @bleach551 I had two window open and my last post was for the Red scarlet announcement on the 3rd November thread. Now replying to your post, it does not surprise me at all the attitude from the red camp. The arrogance is always the same. They were so much not concern about the Canon 5d mark 2 that they scraped all their previous road-map two month after it came out!!!!!!!!! They will surely shoot some 2 meter lizard 10 inch from its head so as to show that the 2/3 inch sensor dof is enough because the tail will be out of focus!!!

A very good s35 camera (ala Sony F3, 10 bit codec and uncompressed output) at around the Fs100 price would appeal a lot more to many people than any 2/3 inch sensor look, even with raw output.