Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HELP Choosing a monitor for video editing
  • Hi guys,

I need some help please: I'm between 2 monitors for video editing:

• Dell U2711, &,

• Asus PB278Q.

If anyone has experience from both monitors, so he has a more accurate knowledge on both of them, I will really appreciate his opinion. Anyone has a suggestion on one of them (with facts of course), I will really appreciate all opinions.

Also, I will may need a monitor calibrator, a cheap solution is preferred, so opinions/advices onto this too please.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

Ioannis.

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • @yiannis_zach

Check also

With calibration they are very good.

About calibrator. Two different kinds exist, one use simple calibrated sensors - lie X-Rite Smile and DataColor Spiders. Other are more pricey and are called spectrophotometers cheapest being ColoMunki Photo. Usually both will work with most monitors (just check web reviews about model if it works with wide gamut monitors properly).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thank you very much Vitaliy, they got my attention already. The thing is that I have found the 2 monitors for which I ask people's opinion, in the same price as the ones you proposed from local private sales, hardly used & still with valid warranty, so I think it's a good opportunity, but not sure which one to take finally...

• Huh, in this case get Dell, it is good monitor. Dell panel is IPS, ASUS is PLS (as in first my link).

Normal Dell price is quite different from monitors on my links

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2711-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0039648BO/

• I suggest 2 monitor system. Normal monitor for editor and a good TV for proofing. You get more space for editing tools and videos are best in TV anyway. That is how I work when editing videos. The experience of editing is more fun also.

• a good TV for proofing.

which one would you recommend and how can I calibrate a TV Monitor for editing?

• @peaceonearth

Modern TVs has very good color calibration settings. Also many are very close to standards out of the box. I cant recommend any but there are lots of reviews. TV is just a monitor just like others when hooked to computer via HDMI? What kind of color accuracy do you want? With 2 monitor system you can also use your computer monitor to check colors if you think those are better.

• @Vesku for your reply. I am asking because Resolve has no accuracy via computer and you need monitoring via I/O and cannot calibrate via computer hardware.

• @peaceonearth

I dont have any knowledge of that Resolve thing. Sorry.

• A little off-topic, maybe - but we need audio from our monitor too...

[EDIT" Moved to the * 5.1 Audio* topic] http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/35343

• I am also considering the Asus PQ278Q since the price has come down lately. I love the fact that is has a semi-gloss screen, as this is a perfect trade-off between the benefits of both. One of the only in this range that has it. Anyone have any experience with it, or are there better monitors out now for the same or better price?

• You need to decide if you are going to use 4K, and if so you need a 4K monitor, such as:

Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor - P2815Q or something along those lines.

If you aren't going to be using 4K in the next three years or so, then choose from the options above. But then you might miss all the heavenly glory, as a famous man once said.....

There is also the pricey UP2414Q from Dell, with very high color accuracy. And so it goes. I'll be waiting a bit before upgrading myself, and my Korean monitor is very nice from Greensum.

• If you aren't going to be using 4K in the next three years or so, then choose from the options above. But then you might miss all the heavenly glory, as a famous man once said.....

It must be noted that 5K panels (with 4x resolution from above models) started being made.

I think in about year or so we'll see cheap Korean monitors with 5K res.

• I'm afraid of 5K. I already have a closet full of hard drives. But I would not mind having one.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev But what kind of color accuracy can we expect from cheap Korean 5k monitors? I doubt they would be comparable to mid-top tier models, but I might be pleasantly surprised.

@DrDave I dont plan on going to a 4K camera in the near future, and even if I did, I wouldnt really care about monitor res all that much, 1440p would be fine with me. I know asus recently released a 28" 4K monitor, but it apparently is not as accurate as the 27" 1440p. I may wait a while and just see what comes out. Maybe Ill get lucky.

• But what kind of color accuracy can we expect from cheap Korean 5k monitors? I doubt they would be comparable to mid-top tier models, but I might be pleasantly surprised.

As you need proper calibration anyway you won't notice much difference. Their current monitors are being used by many pro guys.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Looks like I need to research these calibration tools more. Sounds like they give you full control over color, bypassing the monitor's built in controls? Guess I should check out some of the Korean monitors, then.