Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV Telegram channel! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Premiere Pro CS6 reducing resolution of all exported video
  • So this is the first I've seen this happen and I can't find any info online. Basically when I export a project in premiere I get severe aliasing and overall reduced resolution, no matter what setting. Exporting 1080p in MP4, DNxHD, uncompressed AVI all give the same results, resolution that's closer to 720p than 1080p. The odd thing is I've compared the out of camera MTS files (and even the DNxHD converted files used in the project) to the outputted files from Premiere, and they look totally normal. I'm using a GH2 with Drewnet T9 and it's been great but this is really stumping me.

    My current workflow is: MTS files into AE > converted to 2.33 aspect ratio (1920x824) DNxHD format > footage imported and edited within Premiere Pro > exported as 175 bit DNxHD 1920x1080 master file. Note that the 2.33 conversion is strictly letterboxing via composition settings in AE and not altering the pixel dimensions (as those 1920x824 files don't show the pixilation).

    One thing I noticed was that when I expand the video feed in Premiere it shows the pixilation that's outputted in the final format, but I wrote that off as simply being reduced resolution for real time playback that wouldn't translate to the final video. Also the preview remains pixilated even with no effects applied (only effects on clips are quick color corrector, Neat Video, and shadows/highlights).

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I've included a still of the 175 bit DNxHD final video, and a matching frame of the original MTS file straight from the camera. Ignore the top and bottom margins, but look at the high contrast lines like on the Marshal logo, and the metal frame of the B-52 amp below it.

    DNxHD.jpg
    1905 x 826 - 222K
    MTS.jpg
    1920 x 1004 - 314K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • First try placing your mts files into PP without going through AE and see what it looks like. Set pp to give you full resolution output in the preview panel if it is not set up that way already. It is possible you have some scaling going on. You can also crop at output in media encoder as well as try dropping the footage into a new sequence with your 2.33 settings.

  • The MTS files in Premiere look normal. I may have shot myself in the foot here. Upon reimporting the 2.33 DNxHD files back into AE they show the aliasing there as well. But if I manually add black bars to reduce the aspect ratio and export DNxHD as 1920x1080 (as opposed to altering the sequence settings) it looks great.

    I was trying to save a step by cropping and manually stabilizing the footage in AE for the initial conversion, but I didn't bother saving AE projects for each converted file (about 40 files) and of course I have animated Copilot Flares via Dynamic Link, so I would have to redo all of them if I reconvert the files. This was an unpaid gig for a friend in a local band and I'm thinking it's gotten to the point where I should just call it good and learn from this issue. Still doesn't make sense why Adobe's conversion process would have these issues simply because of a change in sequence settings, but oh well.

  • Square pixel?

    Edit: I get it, you import 1920x824 footage in PPro sequence 1920x1080 and shit happens, but all is ok if you import 1920x1080 with black bars.

    Trouble here is that when you grade your footage you will be grading those black bars also, so you'll have to glue them on once more over graded files.

  • I don't think you need the bars if you simply crop at output, unless you want a particular type of bars.

  • @inqb8tr The weird thing is it's outputted 1920x824 from AE into a 1920x824 project in PP. I see no reason why it should be altering the pixels. Even importing 1080p with black bars into a 1920x824 sequence in PP turns out fine. The only real purpose for the bars would be as guides for framing your shot if you want to animate the clip around in the 824p frame without accidentally going past the top or bottom borders. AE does something with the DNxHD output when you change the aspect of the project. I haven't confirmed if this is an issue with every format or just specific to DNxHD.

  • Here's the final video. It still looks adequate to my eye, and the band absolutely loved it. But being the perfectionist that I am I'll definitely have to learn from this experience.