Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Question about fly by wire lens
  • I bought a 30 year old Helios lens few days ago, and it works perfectly. My Lumix pancake is 2 years old, also working fine but sometimes it acts weird, exposure jumps when I point the camera from dark to bright areas etc...but it happens very, very rarely.

So my questions is - will I be able to use focus on the panny 20mm if the fly by wire system stops working?

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • How do you know that the iris mechanism is not gonna die first? :)

• Not sure what exposure and focus have to do with each other, unless you are afraid the lens is on its way out.

My instinct tells me that if the electronics go kaput, so will the lens' functions.

• @Riker Long shot here, but any chance you've got cam accidentally set to auto-exposure and you're only noticing the exposure changes during the more extreme dark to bright changes? Hopefully it's something simple like this.

• Don't know what causes those jumps but lets disregard them until it becomes a common occurrence.

With that out of the way - will Panny 20mm focus work in case of flybywire system goes kaput?

• Will auto focus work if "manual" control dies? I think only someone with that issue can confirm that, or some pany lens designer/service person something.