Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
In Person Questions for Panasonic / Sigma / Sandisk - Imaging USA 2014 Expo
  • So I just found out a few days ago that there's going to be a photography convention in my backyard - Imaging USA. At the expo, there's going to be a number of companies there, including Panasonic, Sigma, Canon, Leica, Sandisk, Tamron, and Fotodiox. The full list is here: http://s36.a2zinc.net/clients/PPA/IU...ortMenu=103001 . I'm going to be pestering Panasonic about the GH4K, Sigma about new Art lenses, and Sandisk about larger SD and SSD media. Let me know if you guys have any other questions that you'd like me to ask these or any other companies that will be there.

Also, if you're in Arizona and want to attend, there's a coupon code that will get you in to the expo for free (instead of paying $35.) Woot! I don't know if it's public, so just PM me for the code.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Ask Sigma about any plans to release a MILC themselves, and if it will be m4/3.... occasionally now and then the odd rumour pops up that they will, but then it is also said they won't.

And ask Tamron about what their plans are for releasing native m4/3 lenses.

• Please ask Fotodiox if they will release further light canons (speed boosters) with better quality glas and coating as the actiual products are not that good.

And of course Pana about the GH4K;-)

• Okay, so here's the (remembered) information I got from each booth.

Panasonic - There is no new info about the GH4K. Apparently Panasonic Japan is still working on the camera and the US side hasn't received a working camera yet - what was at CES was indeed just a mockup of what it could look like, not what it necessarily will. One of the reps I talked to said he wasn't expecting it to be out until around April (which would put it in NAB territory). When I asked about the new UHS-III class SD cards, I was told that they would likely come out around the same time as the GH4K. I also asked about the state of Panasonic televisions, and they said that while the Panasonic/Sony partnership on OLED ended, the eventually future was OLED, and Panasonic would eventually come out with an OLED (but the tech is still going to take a few years to mature - yields are still low, basically, for large screens.)

Sigma - Their focus is on their "Global Vision", which, while marking speak, is actually the name for the push towards better optics. According to the rep I spoke to, after their founder and CEO, Michihiro Yamaki, passed away, the new CEO, Kazuto Yamaki, wanted to push towards making Sigma associated with quality and not price consciousness. He said they've invested quite a bit towards R&D (taking a risk), the initial result of which was the 35mm 1.4 lens, which surprised everyone, and of course other lenses such as the 18-35mm F1.8. He said that all lenses that currently weren't under the Global Vision umbrella (older lenses) would eventually be refreshed into better lenses (like the new 50mm 1.4 Art lens.) He also said that new lenses would be announced in the next few months or so (if I'm remembering correctly.) When I asked the rep about MILC, he basically said that at at least one point Japan was looking at it, but he had no idea what would come of it. As for the mount, he speculated that because the Foveon X3 sensor is larger than m4/3, they would have to come up with a smaller senor size to accommodate that format or use another mount if they came out with a MILC. He did say that the current push, however, was towards new lenses.

Sandisk - The rep at the booth told me a new 128GB 95MB/s would be out in spring (finally! I need this for longer RAW recording on the Blackmagic Pocket.) I asked him about a 256GB SD card and he said that one would come out eventually, but it didn't seem like anything in the current pipeline. Also, he said that new, larger Extreme SSD cards (960GB) would be out in the nearish future (I believe he said summer of this year.) Interestingly, he did mention that the Extreme II wasn't working as well as the Extreme I with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera due the way Blackmagic was writing the data to the SSD, although I believe he mentioned that a firmware update could fix it. He didn't know anything about how their SSDs worked in the new Blackmagic 4K Production Camera, though.

Tamron - no new information about m4/3 lenses.

Fotodiox - the Light Canon's were renamed the Excel +1 (for the .7 version) and the Excel +2 (for the .5 version) due to the increase in f stop you're getting. the Excel +1 will be out in the next few weeks. The +2 is still in the works and will have a 7 lens design. I got to play with their $100 follow focus, which, while clearly of lower quality, had zero backlash. They also said that they were also working on a higher quality follow focus which would cost a couple hundred dollars, as well as a simple rail system to attach it and a camera to.

Cool-Lux - I took a look at the new Cool-Lux Led Lights, which I don't believe have been released yet. They seem fairly nice, and on their CL1000 1x1 panel they're claiming a 1,000w comparable output at 60w with a non-spikey 95 CRI. I didn't jot down the pricing, but I believe it was around $1000-1200 for the CL1000. They also had DMX versions available and integrated V mount or AB mount options. 4 Pin XLR was standard. At 5600k on the 1x1, the listed readings are 12,500 lux or 1,200 foot candles at three feet which is pretty bright in comparison to other 1x1s. They also have smaller versions - CL160 (5x4"), CL500 (12x6"), and a larger 1x2. The lights (except perhaps the CL160) have the option for V-Mount or AB, and they're going to be selling their own batteries plus chargers as well at a slightly lower price then the comparable version. I emailed the rep I was talking to, who said he would get me the full color data (high CRI by itself doesn't necessarily mean much without looking at the extended CRI data.)

Let me know if I can clarify anything for you guys.