Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 - closing in on audio solution
  • Hi guys, After two shoots with the rode VMP on my GH2 I came to understand the need for better audio :) Spend the last 4 days reading up here & on dvx.

What I would like: A significant boost in pre-amp quality. Good mounting options with rig&GH2. I don't do any narrative work but it is imporant for me to be able to work comfortably as a one man band (small documentary etc)

The options I came to now: Juiced Link RA333 and into GH2 (maybe with cheap recorder later).

Tascam DR-60D. I am not sure about preamps in comparison with Roland or Marrantz for example

Roland R26 or Marrantz.

And at wich I switched the past few hours: Fostex DC-302 Bit pricey over here (800 euro) but ordering at B&H might save me some money. And I've read a lot of good stuff about it here on PV.

So my question(s) would be: Wich solution would give me the cleanest audio? Doubting about pulling the trigger on the Fostex beacuse of it's size. Saw some mounting pictures with GH2, but not a lot. Will it be comfortable working as a one man band?

The last point is why I ruled out the (here highly regarded) tascam DR680, I feel it's too big to mount on a rig.

Am I getting in the right direction here?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • The DR 680 is a kind of a standout in the midrange.

• You're right, you would not want to mount a DR-680 on a camera rig. I have a Porta Brace bag for mine which makes it easy to carry, but for me sound and picture are usually two separate systems.

• Is set my budget at around 1500-2000 euro for the audio-upgrade.

Sennheiser wireless for 500 Juiced link for 370 Audio Technica AT4053B for 545

Rest of the money for mic acessories?

Need a good indoor mic that also can be used outside, as also be camera-mounted when needed.

• If you want something smaller, you could try Roland R26.

• Would that make a big difference with the juicedlink?

• I don't know, I don't know anyone who uses Juiced Link. If it were me, I would put a strap on the DR 680 and carry it around. Roland is certainly a good company. The fact is, audio is a try then buy situation, not everyone agrees on what sounds "good". The R26 has six channels that can record all at once and built in mics, so that gives you a lot of flexibility. No line out, AFAIK. The 680 has full mixing. There is a PV topic for it http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/956/roland-r26-portable-audio-recorder/p1

• It seems like you are asking about getting audio into your camera and NOT a dual audio set up.

DR-680 is great for the price but it is for a dual audio set up. I forgot if there is a proper way to get audio from the DR-680 to your camera (I know there is some kind of line out but forgot how the audio is routed). The headphone pre-amp is useless and should not be used, it's super noisy. Also it is definitely not designed to be rig mounted.

Going the JL way is much more convenient. I don't think that you will notice a big difference in audio quality unless you are doing sound professionally and closely listening to the audio - the average viewer won't notice the difference with a proper mic set up. This will allow you to get audio in sync with your picture and not have to sync it in post.

If you are not going to be doing proper mic placement, there is no point in spending a lot of money on recorders and pre-amps as it will just go to waste. Sticking a mic on your camera and running them into a DR-680 is hardly better than using a juiced link unit.

Depending on where you are, a cheap used JL could do the trick. I'm partial to the CX-231 (I think) because it has 2 channels and phantom power. I've gotten some for under $80 US. The DR-60D has a very short battery life, I think people complain about that a bunch. Not sure about the other recorders.

As for a good indoor/outdoor mic, not sure if there is one. Popular outdoor mics are the AT4053B you mentioned, and the Rode NT3. I personally have the AT-875r because it was good and cheap based on research. For indoors, check out the Audix SCX1-HC or the AKG SE-300B w/ CK93 capsule.

These are the best "budget - low mid" $$$ mics I found. Octava has a lot of handling noise.

These are just my observations as a non-professional.

• The 680 has a full mixer and line out. You can if you wish simply plug a cable fro the two RCA out into the cam. I never do that, I put a good stereo mic on the cam and then I have a backup, plus I can measure the offset between the cams and the recorded audio.

• sounddevices.com end of :)

pres like butter with gain for days.

• I got the jl cx231 used for about $130, and i think the pres are great. I feed it into the zoom h1 or gh2, with good results. I can post a test if there is interest.