Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which 25mm lens should I get?
  • I want an amazing M 4/3rds lens for shooting video and ONLY video. Preferably, as beautiful as possible and with great colors.

Right now, I'm torn between the Leica 25mm F1.4 and the Voigtlander F0.95. Does anybody here have experience with eitheir or both of these?

Also, will the GH2/GH3's focus assist (Hitting the touchscreen and having it zoom in for focusing) work the Voigtlander since it's manual?

Thank you for reading.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Pressing the little wheel to zoom in will work for any manual lens.

Plus, please use the search function. Both lenses have ben discussed extensively here.

• You probably want to consider a heap of other 25mm lenses for other mounts as you're only using it for video, thus native AF won't matter. Also check out 24mm and 28mm lenses, as they're very common focal lengths for DSLRs and quite similar to 25mm.

Might even want to consider various 35mm lenses with a focal reducer too.

The Nikon 35mm f/1.8G with the RJ Nikon G to m4/3 Lens Turbo would be a cheap and very useful solution.

A more pricey but even more versatile option to consider is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

• You can tap touchscreen with manual lenses or press the little wheel to get the zoom in focus assist. Both work great and make focusing easy.

• If you want to have a very sharp image at the fastest speed (F0.95), then SLR Magic 25mm is unmatched.

If you don't need that speed, then Voigt and Leica are great too. If you need autofocus, then Leica.

The character of each of these lenses differs significantly, and that's not something that anyone can advise you on. You have to look at footage and decide, or better yet, borrow/rent the lenses and try with your gear in situ.

O

• I have the nokton 25 mm, and it was the first lens I bought for my gh2. At 0.95 you get some CA, but I never shoot with this aperture (nailing the focus is tough zoo! Now, shooting with it a year long, I would love to have a wider focal length, like the 17,5 from voigtländer, the price is only preventing me to buy one. Maybe I'll get the slr magic one :D Ahh and I have seen that the 17,5 has also the option to have clickless aperture, which the 25 voigt doesn't have.

IronFilms idea with the sigma 18-35 is indeed the best investement for the future. But make sure to get a nikon version and a adapter with manual iris, or get a speedbooster :D The only minor thing is that it vignettes at 18 on the gh2., on the gh3 it fits perfectly.