Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap DSLR rig
  • Hi everybody!

I'm new in dslr world. I just bought a GH2 and I'm looking for a cheap dslr rig solution.

and as suggested by Vitality indisystem and gini stuff

Experience with these rigs?
    Other solutions?

Thank you in advance
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • Other good advice - if you have money just get this

http://cgi.ebay.com/follow-focus-DSLR-quick-release-plate-shoulder-mount-/280676849928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159a4d908

It is not cheap at first sign.
    But it is complete solution of top quality.
    Top quality handles, top quality FF, mounting options, QR plate.
    Just ask them to replace T1 follow focus with T2 (about $10).

Worst thing you want to do is buying cheap rig, selling it, buying more expensive stuff, etc
    $(KGrHqN,!l0E1F2GWImuBNd0)jZ1n!~~_12.jpg
    500 x 331 - 22K
  • hi, reeeeaaally cant afford expensive above one-
    i was also looking at the cheap one above, and this:
    http://www.indisystem.com/products/ultra_compact

any experiences?

thx, regards
  • > any experiences?

I have this one.
    It has some problems, but overall it is working and allow you to mount many things.
    If you have only $300-350 it must be best choice (plus some Gini rigs).

>hi, reeeeaaally cant afford expensive above one

This thing is not expensive.
    Add $450 for FF, $70 for monitor mount, and about $400-500 for mattebox :-)
    Plus bare rig weight is about 1/2 of Indie rig.
  • I know not everyone will agree but if money is a concern keep in mind that these things are not too difficult to make from oak (wood). Do use oak tho so you can keep the parts slender and still maintain lots of strength! All you need is a power drill, a saber-saw and a a long T-square. Optionally a router would be helpful!

You can buy the saw, the drill, the wood, and all the needed wing-bolts you need for around $120. If you opt for the router as well make it $160.

Find the rig you like most and get (or take) lots of pictures of it. Figure out the parts you need. Create and assemble. For the padding on the shoulder area you can use one or two layers of camping sleeping-bad mat which costs $5. For the handle grips use bicycle handle grips - another $5 ~ $7. Cork pad for the camera landing $1. etc. etc.

The only part you really NEED to buy is the follow-focus rigging. I've even seen the large square hoods made from wooden veneer and cheap felt as flocking.

From there all you'll need to buy is the monitor, the camera, and the lenses - optionally a tripod if you need one - However hardwood tripods ROCK!

Anyway, if you really need/want a rig like these but money is the prohibitor then consider buying the tools and materials and just making one. It doesn't have to be ugly like some people do when they use the wrong wood and make things too bulky and poor (un-dynamic) design.

• Has anyone on here had any experience with the JAG Free runner?

I like the look of that rig Vitaliy - as you say with FF and Matte box - price is not what you would call high.
    Not bottome end sure, but like most of your equipment suggestions, I'm guessing this is your - pro bang for the buck recommendation - which I highly value as an approach.

• http://jag35.com/new/category/products/ <--- Looks pretty cool!<br />

Here's a $10 shoulder-rig just for fun... :D

• Oh he needs an extended rubber eyecup. Looking through such VF is... so... photo.
  • the cowboy studio shoulder mount is a great budget item to have for $26 you cant go wrong to always have one along even in you little go anywhere kit.. (It collapses down to a small size for portability and is light weight) I don't have rails and just manually adjust focus on the lens, no follow focus ect.. the cowboy rig gets the job done, Typically I'm on a tripod or slider but occasionally I'm mobile and use the cowboy rig and it works awesome for the cash. its a must have even if you have a big shoulder rig.. cant beat it for the cash.

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Shoulder-Support-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B0036NMQ7S

• Yep, ditto on the cowboy. First one I had wore out, have another in transit. Love That I can carry it on as carry on luggage on a plane being plastic. I usually have a flash bracket attached also off toone side as a handle and mount for other items ( 2 hot shoes and 1/4")

• i like the flash bracket idea, Have a few of those smae cheap flash brackets.. never thought of adding that to the mix.. Thanks for the tip!