Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DVD authoring programs
  • So i've been using Encore to author any dvds but CC doesn't support it any more. what other programs are out there that lets me have the same controls. I'm a poor student so i'm looking for the most affordable program.

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • Look at Magix Editors. I di not make any DVDs for years (in fact MKV on USB flash is much more suitable format).

• I have the CC but still using the Encore CS6, hope for a upgrade from Adobe to the Encore.

• I thought Adobe had officially dropped Encore but includes access to the CS6 version for CC users. The CS6 version works for me.

• Same for the Mac: Apple dropped FCP 7 aka "Studio" altogether, but DVD Studio Pro still works (well, I didn't try Maverick). You can buy a legit copy for little money these days.

If you still need DVDs, it's a good program.

• If you still need DVDs, it's a good program.

Question is - why you need them at all?

• For subtitling applications (museum display) I still use media server hard-drive bue with DVD or Blu-Ray -format playback (no optical disks involved), simply because the DVD / Bl-Ray spec allows for lots of languages and character sets, eg European and Asian.

• For subtitling applications (museum display) I still use media server hard-drive bue with DVD or Blu-Ray -format playback (no optical disks involved), simply because the DVD / Bl-Ray spec allows for lots of languages and character sets, eg European and Asian.

Sorry, I do not get it. You can add any number of subtitles to MKV. As much as you like.

• so can you make 'DVD' style menus in a MKV container?

• so can you make 'DVD' style menus in a MKV container?

Remember, you are using flash drive, you can make interactive HTML based menus. And just run video player with different files or with different tracks/time from html file.

• @VK so can modern TVs play these HTML files? I am seriously considering this route with Wedding related stuff, DVD quality is just killing me, but the majority of couples dont have bluray, but they have good Smart TVs

• mkv format with pictures of bride & groom on a flash drive would be too small to see, that's y -;)

• Question is - why you need them [DVDs] at all?

Film festival submissions. You still need an actual disc, of whatever format, unless (in some cases) you want to submit with the equivalent of youtube. Sundance, among others, won't even take bluray. So DVD is the only real option.

• so can modern TVs play these HTML files? I am seriously considering this route with Wedding related stuff, DVD quality is just killing me, but the majority of couples dont have bluray, but they have good Smart TVs

By idea all SmartTV have browsers.

mkv format with pictures of bride & groom on a flash drive would be too small to see, that's y -;)

LOL

• I know encore would still work, but I got a new laptop and now I lost My cs6 version of encore and i dont see it in my app downloader but ill continue to look thanks for all the replies!

• My clients sell the DVDs as well. Also, the museum staff change frequently and training is fast if the menu and language choice looks like a DVD.

And no, I've not yet found the wide range of character sets you get in the spec and in almost all DVD machines. We don't even author the DVDs to region so as to delect each buyers' choice of language fonts. (When they get home, that can be another matter; once the Japanese subtitles turned to space-junk back at the buyer's home but was OK when they tried another player).

• @goanna

We don't even author the DVDs to region so as to delect each buyers' choice of language fonts. (When they get home, that can be another matter; once the Japanese subtitles turned to space-junk back at the buyer's home but was OK when they tried another player).

In MKV you can just store subtitles as graphics if you want it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Do you have a preference for one Magix Editor Vitaliy ?

• Do you have a preference for one Magix Editor Vitaliy ?

In what regard? I do not make DVDs :-)

http://www.xara.com/us/magix/movie-edit-pro/ must be pretty enough for almost anything.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev ...Sorry I was confused. I thought you were talking about using Magix for the MKV container.

Look at Magix Editors. I di not make any DVDs for years (in fact MKV on USB flash is much more suitable format).

• @peternap

MKV is container. Usually you make it using external tools (I mean from video and sound tracks).

I think with ME it is best to author it as bluray and after this use utility to convert Blu-ray to MKV.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks Vitaliy! After looking at it, Handbrake and FFMPEG will re-encode and there are transmux tools also. Something to do over the weekend.

• @peternap

As I said, from practical POV it is simpler to export Blu-Ray and after this just get one of Blu-ray to MKV converters. designed for mere mortals :-)