Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
3d camcorders interlaced compression
  • Except the Z10000 and higher priced camcorders, all other 3d camcorders record in 50i/60i - usually MVC. The sensor is a native progressive sensor - so the question for the owners of these cameras (JVC GS-TD1, Sony TD10 and later models) is whether this is just PsF - i.e. progressive signal in an interlaced container ?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • On my Sony TD10, the AVCHD recording is dual 1920x1080/60i streams. It is real interlaced video, not a progressive signal inside an interlaced container, unfortunately. I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 or Magix Movie Edit 2013 (note there are still bugs in MEP 2013's 3D features - Sony is more reliable because of that).

For Sony, search online for "Yadif deinterlace" - and download and install this free plugin, or you can let Movie Studio deinterlace on output (but this is a problem if you need to mix interlaced and progressive footage in same project).

This 3D video was shot using the Sony TD10, edited in Magix Movie Edit, de-interlaced using MEP's defaults, and uploaded to Youtube in side-by-side format.

• @edwardm

Didn't you tried getting half lines from both streams and make not side by side, but anamorphic top/bottom file?

• Dumb question - I'm assuming you need standard 3D glasses to view? I've heard of 3D movies, where glasses are not needed, but assuming they're needed for this type of 3D video. (If the Zombies would have just walked much slower, this would have been awesome!). Cool video, will try to snag some 3D glasses next time I'm at movies and will check this out. Very cool.

• News is - only the Z10K and sony NX3D1 output progressive. Now, has anyone managed to capture a lossless signal using BM Ultrastudio ?

• @vitally_kiselev Yes, I have created a top/bottom file and watched it on my 3D TV. For those that do not do 3D (yet!), Vitally's point is that since we are converting an interlaced stream, rather than deinterlace and then produce side-by-side (which is half width in the horizontal dimension), we can create a 3D file that uses only half the vertical lines - and we do not need to deinterlace (which is then half width in the vertical dimension).

@matt_gh2 - Youtube has a "universal" 3D video player that supports all formats. If you have red/cyan or green/magenta glasses, then you can watch 3D on a standard monitor using anaglyph (colored) format. Or you can choose "cross eyed" or "parallel" viewing methods which are glasses free tricks. With the cross-eyed method, the screen shows a left and right image and you look at it cross eyed and see a 3rd image in the middle - full color and in 3D. "Parallel" is a little harder to explain but kind of a similar idea. Or, if you have a 3D Monitor, you'll need either passive (polarized) glasses, of the type used in movie theaters, or LCD shutters, used on some TVs and computer monitors - all depends on your monitor. The Youtube player supports all formats - pick your desired from the viewer control icon.

Not all polarized passive glasses are the same. It depends on how they separate the polarity between the left and right eyes.

• @zcream There is JVC GY-HMZ1 as well and it's price was very interesting one year ago (below 1000 USD on Amazon USA/Adorama). However, my tests revealed that interlaced videos (60i) are slightly sharper than progressive ones (24p). Since I've found one very good (and slow) deinterlacer for VirtualDub, I am usually using 60i mode. If I knew that in advance, I'd rather take JVC TD1.

By the way, shutter speeds below 1/60 are also producing slightly blurred pictures (yes, for static camera and static subjects), when compared to 1/60 and faster shutter speeds. Go figure...

• Any image processing will introduce artifacts. De-interlacing especially! If your plan is to make a movie with this - the image has to be correct from the beginning.

• @zcream

For most real 3D screens with passive 3D it does not really matter if it is interlaced or not.

We don't have much modern sets with HDMI 2.0 anyway to transfer full 1080p60 3D data.

As HDMI 2,0 4K sets with passive 3D will become common (few months) it will be actual.

• I'm hoping to send this to film festivals. So the progressive mode is important. Another advantage of the extra resolution on the dual Flea3 cameras, is to do post zoom, as well as adjust convergence.

• @crunchy The HMZ1 only does 24P, while I need 25P for PAL, to avoid the fluoro flicker. I cannot afford lights in the places I am going to film. Also, the TD1 for some strange reason does not allow capture via HDMI. Only the TD10 allowed it.