Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
gh1 strap lug problem
  • Ok my late production cycle gh1 just had a lug come out. Unbelievably the fall didn't (hopefully ) damage the camera other than a scuff mark. But I hear a little loose noise inside the body. Anyone have any experience ? Do I need to disassemble and remove the nut, or is it safe to let it jiggle ? thanks

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, many have "experience". As far as I remember it is usual thing with GH1 :-)

• well, I'd heard that the later models were fixed, as a search here provide me with that comment. But what I need to know is.....if that little thingy loose inside my camera body is a threat , or not . thanks

• Yes, it can be a threat.

• thanks- just read a dpreview thread where some guy burned his motherboard . Drag. turned the camera off and downloaded the service manual from scribd...in case anyone else is thinking about disassembling their gh1's ! I don't need the lug...just don't want to fry my camera !

• Years ago, I had a lug bolt lodged somewhere in the GH1 body, so I had to disassemble the whole camera to get it out. The ribbon cables are finicky! Took it apart and reassembled twice, because one thing or another wasn't working. When the bolt was back in place, I used the cotton from a Q-tip soaked in epoxy glue to make sure the lug bolt didn't fall out again.

http://fridaysushi.com/2010/05/03/repairing-a-lumix-gh1-strap-lug/

• I can deal with not having a strap. I just want the nut out of the works .Can I get the nut out without disconnecting the cables ? And some of these instructions don't make sense , for example -

Work with the body sensor down (face down) and carefully lift the back plate (monitor and all) away from the body.

How can you put the sensor face down, which to me means the sensor is on the bottom , and then lift the back plate away ? ( no 4) I would assume he means with the front of the camera facing down and the sensor facing up, then lift off the back shell.

And from no 5 , can the nut be extracted without disconnecting the cables ?

thanks for the link.

• It may be possible to shake it out, but once it's out, it's not that hard to bolt it back in place. Here's another repair post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34186400

• thanks. Just glad I didn't fry my camera by trying it after it fell.

• ok...need some more advice. Unbelievably when I disassembled the rear housing, the only thing to fall out was the little black washer for the screw .....no screw. Is this the ghost in the machine or what ?? I've spent about 30 minutes shaking the frigging camera to no avail. No screw. I know it couldn't just vanish so I assume the fall lodged it somewhere ...maybe in one of the other assemblies. Does anyone have any advice on next step ? thanks in advance - k

• ...also what's the trick on disconnecting the flex cables > i've got the service manual, but following the instructions doesn't work. Anyone have any experience ?

• @jleo also could my screw have somehow gotten trapped in the shutter mechanism when I tested it ? It's really strange cause I'm shaking the hell out of the camera and can't get much of any rattle now - thanks k

• ok...does half a happy story a sad story make ? Got the screw out but , the shutter button and the control wheel on the grip no longer function. Maybe I shook a connector loose. At first I thought it was toast because I couldn't change the shutter speed nor the aperture. Remembered I could do those in the q menu. Not as fast but just as good for video. Any suggestions for a remote shutter tripper ? Will the rainbow grip trip the shutter in photo mode ? It's still taking great video so I'm half a happy camper.

• That's what happened to me. So I took the camera apart again. I used a tweezer covered in masking tape to slide the ribbon cables back in. Very tricky.

• Related: "Error message: Please turn camera off and then on again".

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?232588-Error-message-Please-turn-camera-off-and-then-on-again

I still have a similar problem with my first GH1: can't take stills because of a lacking shutter, but it does record video.

• @jleo - I already broke one side of one of the connector for the ribbon cable I was trying to disconnect. And maybe that is what caused the problem although I believe that ribbon cable is only for the lcd and it looks to be still well connected. But I really don't want to mess with the cables unless first someone can direct me to a thorough description of disconnecting them .

I really think my aggressive shaking to get the screw out, caused some disconnection .

@Fool4UAnyway - yep tried removing battery, changing batteries, etc. No shutter. No front dial wheel either. The worst thing is i can't wake up the camera from sleep mode without using the main switch. Guess i'll have to turn off sleeping. And guess i'll be getting that g6 sooner rather than later as well !

Does anyone know if , by removing the front panel, I'd have access to whatever connects the shutter button and control wheel ? thanks for your help /k

• As far as I remember, I could not access the shutter cable from the front, and had to disassemble from the back. The tweezer helped with connecting the shutter cable, but it was the trickiest part.