Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which 14-140 zoom?
  • This is my first post here, so thanks for looking. I am looking to buy a GH3 with a kit lens, budget is tight and I want the 14-140 newer version. But all the dealers in the UK only have the older version lens. When I ask them why, I am told it's a much better lens for video. I will be using the GH3 for video work mainly. Everything I have read about the new lens is good, so am I being given a story or what?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • "...so am I being given a story or what?"

Yes you are. The new lens is slightly faster and more compact. IQ is a least equal. If possible, you should try and get it over the older version. There should not be that big a difference in price.

• Oh, and IS is better.

• Thanks for the info. I too thought it was a story....

• I have the old 14-140 and it's the only Pany lens I kept once I switched over to Black Magic Cameras. It's a great lens for the money and the IS is a life saver. Indoors it suffers but outside and for in car shots it's great.

• @vicharris Does that mean that the focus-by-wire works with a passive mount MFT BMCC? I thought none of the MFT lenses except fully manual will work due to focus issues. Or do you mean on the BMPCC?

• Crap, sorry. Yes the pocket cam of course.

• The "old" 14-140 has been a reliable workhorse money maker for me for 3 years. I use it mostly outdoors on the ocean in harsh conditions ( like bouncing over waves on the back of a jetski etc) and never had any issues even when mostly zooming by pulling and pushing on the lens hood rather than the zoom ring. Sharp, colours are true and OIS is perfectly weighted.

As you can see by the number of views of this topic, most on here don't like it or are not interested in it as it has no filmic character and not suitable for shallow DOF shots or manual focus. It is however an honest lens that will allow you to capture what you see with your own eyes with adding anything.

I've not used the "new" version so cannot offer a comparison, but I'm sure you will be happy with either.

All shot with 14-140 and GH1