Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ASC offers Master Class
  • Groan

A bunch of no talent tards with plenty of extra cash will toss it at this class and proceed to walk around with an ASC cert and no talent... and will then manage to land jobs they don't deserve. So step up, you unwashed masses, step into a slim jim. [I'm seriously considering a career change. Anybody know any good truck driving schools? or maybe u have 2800 bucks I can borrow, so this no talent tard can take the class...lol]

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/asc-offers-master-class-for-aspiring-dps-1200606864

• 21 Replies sorted by
  • I've often thought about truck driving school myself.

• I'm sorry I don't see what is so terrible about this. Surely someone who wanted to learn could benefit from an immersive week with real cinematographers? Of course the paper is worthless, but who cares?

• Considering that an undergraduate film school degree can go for anywhere from $120K-200K, taught by people who typically can't earn a living in their designated teaching specialty, and not including production costs, this one sounds pretty cheap.

Plus, the ASC provides a "celebratory dinner". At NYU, USC and Columbia, they only serve dorm food.

• Thanks for Mentioning this. I'm going to apply - wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

• Don't get me completely wrong. This is a cool thing, I just know that it'll do more harm than good.

• I would take the course in a heartbeat if I had the scratch. I don't think this is the kind of thing that "no talent tards" drop their extra cash on. They just go buy the latest camera and call themselves a DP. This is for people who want to learn something, I'd bet.

• Meh, I refer you to this guy...

https://www.facebook.com/dpredwizard

He's not real, but he sure seems it...

• No, it's just the ASC selling out. They must be hard up for cash. Need a bigger clubhouse? Haven't film schools just turned into cash cows? I can't imagine Caleb Deschanel (mentioned in the article) doing this.

My 2nd union movie I loaded mags for Caleb Deschanel. He was the biggest prick I ever met in the business, always looking for someone to beat up on. Once his wife (an actress) came on the set and he beat up on her. But, what a sweet guy, he gave everyone in the camera dept. a nice gift after 3 months of being a caffeine withdrawal dickhead.I used to have to make or buy the expresso for him, I would know. I just saw him on "who do you think you are" S04E04 where daughter Zooey traces his Philadelphia Quaker roots. The Quakers are pacifists, he is not, when he hasn't had 10 shots of expresso in his arm.

I'd love to see him selling his name brand out, let alone the ASC.

Also "classes “will be augmented by field trips to nearby state-of-the-art facilities." is another way to waste time while you're paying. WhenI lived in LA many moons ago, Kodak would screen tests of their film stocks, everyday to almost anyone who would call. Many facilities give tours to students, they want their business if they ever make a movie. Just call up and say you missed the school tour and could you come another day... ;-)

• ASC Clubhouse, last meeting...

Alright, a bunch of doves with raging diarrhea escaped from The Magic Castle and pooped all over our roof.

That's all birdpoop?!!

This place looks like that Ice Palace in Dr. Zhivago!

Yeah! And we're all outa money to clean it.

Say, why don't we hold a "Master Class"??!! Short and sweet, all in a week. 3 grand a pop! They'll be lining up like tourists at Universal Studios ...just to have the magic of those three prestigious letters rub off on them- A- S- C !!

What can they possibly learn in a week?

Precisely!

At 3 grand a pop! Finally!! We can afford to stop eating at In-N-Out!!

Yup, those Hollywood "Master Classes".... just watch out for those few aggressive opportunists in each one, who hog all the time with the "Masters", leaving everybody else shortchanged!

• I'm picturing them all skipping out a bathroom window once tuition are collected, ala the bounty hunter master class in Domino.

Toll: Dante, you and Russell go get the car and bring it around back. Me and Dean will stall them and meet you in five. Keep...the motor...running.

• To all you folks who want to be leaders in your field: learn from other's mistakes, don't replicate them.

• The ASC in association with AMPAS (The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences) presents

A MASTER CLASS with CLAUDIO MIRANDA, ASC

HOW I SHOT 110% of LIFE OF PI

and How You Can Shoot 110% of Your Movie Too!

Cinematographer Claudio Miranda ASC will demonstrate how he shot everything in the Life of Pi and more without using cameras! He and Ang Lee just sat in a Chinese restaurant thousands of miles away from the studio! Eating, drinking and laughing for months, while the movie made itself! Participants will learn how to order and eat Taiwanese Dim Sum brunches, while your movie is being made by invisible and unpaid elves! Learn how to collect prestigious awards for a movie without actually working on it! Well, maybe a teenie weenie bit!

Special Guest CHRISTOPHER DOYLE, HKSC

He hates people who shoot movies without cameras, then claim they shot it all with a camera! So get ready for some real Kung Fu fisticuffs at the Clubhouse! (Drunken Irish Style ). If Claudio Miranda ASC doesn't know any Kung Fu…Kung Fu Panda will sub for him, courtesy of Dreamworks Animation.

P.S. Chances are, this epic fight will spill out onto the street, carrying Claudio Miranda ASC, clutching his Oscar, all the way down to Hollywood Boulevard! If the LAPD clobbers him, 'cause he looks like a hippie, here's your chance to GRAB HIS OSCAR!!

ASC and AMPAS will not be held responsible if participants are clobbered by the LAPD. Legal waiver must be signed with enrollment fee.

Tuition includes:

Green Tinted Glasses (so you won't see any green screens anywhere)

Choice of any two frozen entrees from Trader Joe's (microwaving included)

How I Shot 110% of Life of Pi Behind The Scenes Scrapbook ( with tons of bogus pics )

Genuine Autograph from Claudio Miranda, ASC ( done by Pixar )

Christopher Doyle on Life of Pi

http://sea.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/874483/christopher-doyle-interview-part-2-life-of-pi-oscar-is-an

miranaoscars.jpg
    464 x 594 - 60K
  • @BurnetRhoades Love the Domino reference. Hilarious. Wasn't that the movie where she does a lapdance to escape death by some latino gang dudes? Lol. Somebody needs to bring back the ole Diehard days.

• @matt_gh2 :) Yeah, love that movie. I think about it every time I see seminars on how to make it as a writer, how to pitch your script, how to raise funds for your movie, how to maximize the social media impact of your project, etc., etc...Respect the cruller and TAME the donut!

@jleo +10 The guy has shot and gaff'd on some great stuff but this is one of those times where the Academy got it all wrong and the guy made it worse by not copping to the fact that 90%+ of the imagery or more had nothing to do with him and he had zero presence in its creation.

• seriously though, while watching Life of Pi, I didn't suspect there was so much image manipulation

Perhaps one day, heaven forbid, they'll need an arbitration process like the Writers Guild credit system to determine how much the various artists contributed to the imagery in a movie, . content labels can be issued showing 5%, 15%, 89% real cinematography! or Cinema Verite purists can get a 100% CGI-free certification!

Supposedly Academy make up experts in 1968 didn't realize the apes in 2001: a space odyssey were actors in makeup and gave an Oscar to Planet of the Apes instead…so the wrong guy gets the Oscar isn't anything new...

speaking of Die Hard, forgot John McTeirnan was thrown in prison. Hollywood rallies to get him out…

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/exclusive-the-tragic-imprisonment-of-john-mctiernan-hollywoo

http://www.manlymovie.net/2013/09/john-carpenter-joins-free-john.html

• @jleo There's a lot of raw footage of Life of Pie that shows you the before and after. I couldn't believe what I saw and they even showed some during the Oscars. All the before was flat, over lit scenes. Looked like a fish and chips shop. Then they showed what the post guys did and it was amazing. I wanted to punch that DP in the face when I saw him except that award but I know they did cut off what he said about the Visual Effects team because of the current situation.

• @CFreak great story. got any more?

• @jleo @vicharris Imagine how I felt knowing a lot of the people who worked on that show personally, having worked at that facility, personally, and knowing they were circling the drain at the time of the Oscars, because the six clients that they have, and the majority of the Academy, know absolutely nothing about visual effects and care even less than that. Both Miranda and Ang Lee were complete ass clowns that night with respect to respecting who was responsible for the imagery throughout that film.

My brother (one of them) was a layout supervisor on Life of Pi so I was able to inquire just how much input Miranda had after shooting greenscreens for all but a handful of scenes making up the entirety of the film. None. He had no presence at the facility. He wasn't involved at all. I can't even confirm that he made a single appearance during the crafting of that film. Lee was there and, if I remember right, Lee's editor. Not Miranda. And there wasn't a client-side visual effects supervisor, someone put in place to control and guide vendors and act as advocate for the director's vision. There was no intermediary, a place Miranda coulda-shoulda been positioned if he was going to take credit for SFA.

I can contrast that with a film that I worked on where, instead of having a client-side visual effects supervisor, the Coen Bros. instead differed to their DP to craft the look of a visual effects sequence that was created in the exact same way and so I got to work directly with Roger Deakins on the flooding of the valley for the finale of O Brother, Where Art Thou? In that case, instead of an Indian boy on a boat, shot in a pool on a green screen stage you have three actors, shot in a pool on a studio lot and everything from a few feet behind them all the way to the horizon, the sky and everything else was digital. Deakins was there, because the digital work needed to feel like it fit with the rest of the film and he knew, ultimately, reflected on him.

But he's very unique. He's since extended his reach and influence to help shape cinematography for CGI and could actually be nominated for cinematography awards for at least one feature animated film.

edit: fun fact, the Academy is made up of mostly older members who, it's known, don't even view all of the films up for voting. That's why the campaigns are marketed so heavily, in trade magazines, the paper, TV ads and billboards in LA. They're more likely to see the awards push marketing campaign than the film itself.

Living and working in LA in the film business means even if you're not in the Academy you likely know someone who is, or, more specifically, know and work with one of their kids. Awards season was always a lot of fun because we'd gather at my friend Ethan's house to watch films that weren't available on home video yet because his father, a WGA and Academy member, invariably just gave him the yearly screeners. And that's not an uncommon story. The Academy spent some effort to try to curb their yearly screeners being given away or, worse, sold to the public. I don't know that they were ever successful.

• I didn't see the VFX Breakdown for Life of PI until several weeks after I saw the movie. I was shocked, absolutely shocked how much digital work was involved. And that was just a short sampler. Actually, the breakdown reel was better than the movie! I kept falling asleep throughout the movie. Toto, I have a feeling we're not using optical printers anymore!

• "You can not put a child with a tiger in a boat. never. know you will be in the hands of those in charge of visual effects to put the tiger there ... and pray that does not look like a cartoon." - Claudio Miranda, March 1, 2013

Odd choice of words! Still no praise for VFX artists?

It sounds cliché but while the award goes to a single person, it's the result of everyone's contributions - Claudio Miranda

I know...even Miley Cyrus and Britney say "Leave Claudio alone!"

• I think if you want to pursue a career in the arts, it has to be your driving passion, and the money has to be something you are willing to give up, or make do with less. If one gets it, great, but there aren't enough jobs even for the qualified professionals, it is a 2 percent market, or maybe less, like most things in the arts. There have been schools offering more or less useless degrees for centuries, along with of course some good schools, it is just the way it is.