Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Have a Magic SLR 12mm, looking for a 25mm to compliment
  • Hi all!

So, I've fallen in love with this Magic SLR 12mm lens. The clickless aperture, low light, build, and "film like" qualities have been awesome.

I've been waiting for Adorama to get the Magic SLR 25mm lens in, but it's always backordered at 799. I also see that Voigtlander has a 25mm lens and can be bought USED for around 849.

Does anyone have the Magic SLR and one of these other lenses? Does Voigtlander have a clickless aperture?

It seems like in terms of quality, it's really negligible.

I had my heart set on the Magic SLR, but I can get the Voigtlander today used for a decent price. And I don't have to worry about step up adapters etc to use filters.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • The Voigt 25mm has stepped aperture, only the 17.5 can be switched to stepless.

I like it nevertheless, but then there is the 25mm from SRLM. It is sharper in the center WO, but never get's as sharp as the Voigt in the corners. The latter is very lo-con wide open, but get's really sharp when stopped down.

• I have an SLRM 25mm and am looking at a 12mm to complement! ; )

• Until you get the 25mm. Try using ETC mode with the 12mm. 12mm x 2.6= 31.2mm

• This is a strange topic, but all I can say about this matter is that I have both SLR Magic 12mm and 25mm and I love them. They're a perfect couple (same colour rendition, bokeh, flares... overall character).

• the 12 so far is my fav lens and am looking for the 25 too. I cant even find it on ebay

• Basically what it boils down to is: The 25mm Magic SLR is impossible to order anywhere. And its backordered on Adorama. And I'd like to get a 25mm this week or next.

I have an opportunity to buy a used Voigtlander for roughly the same price as a new Magic SLR...so I was wondering if the Voigtlander would compliment a 12mm Magic SLR (which I own) or if I should wait it out and get the Magic SLR.

I suppose not having a stepless aperture isn't a huge problem since I rarely change aperture in the middle of a shot (for narrative work).

Flaaandeeers - So youre basically saying I should find the Magic SLR 25mm! I know its a weird topic...I wouldnt have asked if I hadn't seen used, mint Voigtlanders around the $800/850 mark.

• Comparison of 25mm primes from 3D Kraft!

The SLR Magic HyperPrime renders the out-of-focus background to the smoothest degree and produces very neutral circles of confusion - simply close to perfection. The Voigtlander Nokton tends to be a bit more nervous in the out of focus areas and depending on the distance from the center, the circles of confusion get more and more deformed but all in all it produces still a fairly nice bokeh. .

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137&catid=40&Itemid=2

• Did you email them are ask Andrew here about it? Tag slrmagic and see what's going on. He's pretty good at responding.

• I've ordered it straight from SLR Magic and customer service has been great.

• Flaaan, Did it take a solid month for you to get it? I'm hesitant to order direct because I've had trouble ordering things from overseas. Getting lost or broken, etc. Was hoping Adorama would get it in stock!

• Just go to their site http://noktor.com and call them up. I got the lens in 4 days from Hong Kong got it in yesterday. Free shipping. I was in a same boat with Adorama. I have a shoot this Sunday so a I needed a quick shipment. I tested the lens out last night, it's gorgeous.

• I actually think I bought both my 12mm and 25mm direct from them. Came well packaged. No problems. I had to wait a little for the 25 since I bought a preorder or something like that.

• @thebmillz I live in South America and it took no more than 2 weeks to get here via EMS.