Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Poor GH3 performance with HDMI Monitor
  • Anyone using GH3 with an HDMI monitor and having issues? I am running a GH3 with a 12mm f2.0 Olympus lens on a Steadicam Pilot. I rewired the Pilot so that it would accept an HDMI monitor. The monitor is an Ikan 5. 6 inch and came with a hood. It can do focus assist but not zebras. When the camera and monitor are first turned on, there seems to be a lot of electronic handshaking going on which takes 15 or 20 seconds. This is annoying and if you don't turn things on in the right order, the screen never shows the output from the camera.

During operation, I am having a lot of trouble focusing, especially during recording. I normally have the camera set on AFC, and Continuous AF turned OFF in the camcorder menu. When there is no HDMI cable connected to the camera, I can push the shutter half way, get a green dot when it is focused and a confirmation beep. The beep and the green dot do not seem to operate when connected to the HDMI cable and the monitor. Aside from the Red recording dot and other info that comes up when you press the shutter half way, there is nothing to confirm a focus lock on. This has resulted in my pushing the shutter button down too far and turning off the recording accidentally. The only way that I can confirm a focus lock on is by touching the screen and tapping the little yellow box that appears, then I touch the word SET at the bottom of the screen. While doing this, the RED recording button disappears, which is disconcerting, but apparently the camera is still recording because the RED dot appears again after the focus reset.

I have tried using focus peaking on the monitor but it is so dim in daylight that it is useless. The monitor seems unappropriate for steadicam work. Anyone know what the new Pilots use for a monitor? I am thinking that the whole setup would work better with the Marshal 5.6" monitor but it is $800.00

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I have tried using focus peaking on the monitor but it is so dim in daylight that it is useless. The monitor seems unappropriate for steadicam work. Anyone know what the new Pilots use for a monitor? I am thinking that the whole setup would work better with the Marshal 5.6" monitor but it is $800.00

Start with high brightness monitor if you want to use it outdoors on steadicam. Check Ikan models. Not cheap, but useful for such tasks.

• what do you suggest for a monitor? Why is the Ikan monitor I am using so dark when connected to the GH3? Why all the electronic handshaking? Does the GH3 suspend recording if you touch the screen to try a refocus?

• Which Ikan is it? I have the D5W and it's pretty damn bright. Also with all these new monitors, you might want to put a matte film on them to take down the glare. I'm doing it right now with my shitty BMCC screen so I can at least see what damn buttons I'm hitting.

• The monitor is the VK5-SU 5.6-Inch HD LCD Monitor with Sony Battery Plate (Black). It is not nearly bright enough and why does it squeeze down the camera readouts at the bottom and top? They are unreadable. I am going to try a Marshal 5.6 and see if it is any better.