Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Redrock Micro customer service
  • I wanted to order some simple replacement levers for some older Redrock microClamps. Here is the email chain.

ME: I have an older microClamp that had the black plastic levers that were 1/4 20 thread and the plastic pieces came off. Now it's just 1/4 20 bolts. They still work, they are not quick release now tho. Anyway I would like to buy replacement levers if I can. I'm not sure if the newer microClamps still have 1/4 20 threaded levers or not, but if they do I would like them. Actually if the new levers work I would like 2 sets (4 levers) because I have a second microClamp that I would like to replace the older levers on as well. If there is a color choice I would like black, if not blue is fine. Anyway if you have some to sell, let me know the cost. Thanks.

Dunashay Thomas: Hello Brian, Thank you for contacting support. We can certianly help you get replacement knobs. I will send you a quote for 4 black knobs for that microClamp.

Dunashay Thomas: image

Several days later

ME: You sent me the wrong levers. Like I said in the very first email they are 1/4 20 threaded. The levers you sent are 1/4 but they are a fine thread.

Dunashay Thomas: Brian, Thank you for contacting support. Send me a photo of the screws you were looking for and the screws you received please. If you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.

With best regards, RedRockmicro Customer Support Team

ME: Here is an image of both screws. The old one is on top and the one you sent is on the bottom. As you can see the old one is a courser thread, 1/4 20 to be exact like I said in my first email, and the new one is 1/4 inch, but a finer thread. image

Dunashay Thomas: Thank you for the reply and photo. Please be advised that the screw at top is very old. We have gone to two different styles of knob since then to my understanding.[url]http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/microClamps/microClampNow[/url] use have a ratchet style knob(the one you have). Are you telling me that this screw does not fit your unit or that it is just not what you thought it was going to be? If you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.

ME: It does not fit my units. For the tenth time they are the wrong thread.

Dunashay Thomas: Brian, I'm going to see if by chance we have some old ones around here and let you know if we do and I'll send them. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Several days later

ME: Any word on this?

Dunashay Thomas: Brian, We were able to locate 4 of those screws for you and I just dropped them off with our shipping departement to be shipped to you. Thanks for your help in resolving this. If you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.

ME: Do I get a partial refund since I paid the higher price for ratchet levers and the ratchet levers didn't work?

Dunashay Thomas: Thank you for your reply. No sir, the knobs cost the same price either way. As previously mentioned all special orders are final, and we are not recharging you for the parts or shipping in this matter.

ME: Well if you read my very first email you'd know I only needed 2 levers if they are the same as the ones I already have. It's not my fault you didn't read my email when I said I needed 1/4 20 levers and I only need 2 if they are the same as I already have. If they were 1/4 20 ratchet levers I wanted 4. They were not 1/4 20 levers.

Dunashay Thomas: Brian, Thank you for your reply. At this point sir all I can tell you is what's already been said and that's sorry for the inconvenience this may cause. You now have the 4 of the knobs originally requested coming to you now, so it is fact just what you wanted to order sir. Please enjoy the rest of your day and package upon arrival. If you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.

End of emails

Ok so I ended up spending $60 on four 1/4 20 bolts with plastic pieces on the ends and I only need two. Now a days with China companies making better and better quality gear the only thing an American company like Redrock has over Chinese companies anymore is customer service. I can say Redrocks customer service if far worse than any Chinese company I've dealt with regarding camera gear. I will no longer deal with Redrock Micro because of it, and it's too bad really. Ok enough venting. Moving on.

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 4.02.20 PM.png
    850 x 104 - 22K
    IMG_2531-2.jpg
    400 x 300 - 21K
  • 8 Replies sorted by
  • Btw, it is not really bad support example :-)

• They did not read my first email which sent everything in motion and then refused a partial refund because of their mistake. If not bad customer service, what would you call it?

• They did not read my first email which sent everything in motion and then refused a partial refund because of their mistake. If not bad customer service, what would you call it?

Bumpy :-) But not bad.

• It certainly isn´t good customer service (though I´m sure there are worse examples!). I nearly got a whole new FF from Lanparte because the gear didn´t work any more. Mind, I just e-mailed and asked if they had some replacement part and after clarification on the exact issue they sent a whole new unit except for the rails attachment part.. Completely free of charge and a year and a half since the day of purchase.

• @RRRR

And this will keep you coming back to Lanparte right?

• @Brian202020

Well, if I can choose between a Lanparte product and someone else´s with a similar feature set for a long term investment I will definately go with Lanparte.

Obviously a cheap price and good feedback might tempt me to take a chance with another product in some instances but likewise I won´t hesitate to pay a little extra for a reliable product if I need something for critical work. Sometimes shipping conditions are the most important (and I´ve found it to be sometimes easier / faster to get stuff from Hong Kong or China in a week or less than to order from somewhere closer to home).

• Got a response from Redrock on another forum. Looks like they want to make things right. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.

• @Brian202020 They should make it right. That fellow is downright stupid. I guess there's a difference between bad service and stupid Reps....but I'm not quite sure what it is.