Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 Stable 24p Setting
  • I have been using several 1080 24p patch for over a year and finally found one that is stable in all conditions. This is a 12 gop, 220 Mbps patch that averages about 36 Mbps on very high detail scenes with no crashes in motion or locked off framing. I have only tested the 24p mode and no other settings as I have no need for any other format.

PTool v3.62d (160811) settings

24p 12 gop.jpg
    1731 x 696 - 313K
    rigs 24 p 12 gop.zip
    592B
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • I don't know how you save these zip files but as a mac user I can't see them. Please list your stable settings I'm very interested in using them.
    Thanks for the work.
  • @JR99 Works fine here on my Mac, just shows up as a normal zip file I can uncompress.
  • Thanks for this--I'll try it out.
    Does it file span?
  • Not sure if it file spans I have not filmed long form with it.
  • Low light looks excellent so far, I was able to file span twice indoors, will test more tomorrow. LL bitrate between 24 and 33, with nicely balanced image.
  • thanks have tested and is looking great and stable, low light and details still sharp.
  • It holds up perfect on the pappas chart of death, and all my bright exterior foliage scenes. I think that 12 gop seems to be the cure along with many other settings that I'm not sure of how they relate. I have played with several gop versions from 6-1 and they do offer a slightly better quality but they are not as stable on high detail scenes, and have problems importing into avid.
  • I Just did an extreme test with the 720/60p and it holds perfect using the kit lens at f22 1/60 and f9 1/125 averages about 55 Mbps
  • You have two zip files posted-which one is the correct one?? Or are they both the same? one says ini.zip, and the other doesn't/
  • Please use the second one "rigs 24 p 12 gop.zip". The first one was uploaded by mistake and I can delette it from the post.
  • I had good results indoors; however, outside, using the Panasonic 20mm, the camera crashed in 40-45 seconds each and every time at F/3.2. Bummer. Used two different class 10 cards, but I don't have the Sandisk, so hoping that is the difference.
  • @rigs

great patch!
  • So far, with my outdoor shots on a tripod of foliage, this patch crashes within the first minute. Underexposing does not seem to reduce the crashing. I'm seeing if a full-format of my PNY card overcomes the crashing. A GH2 with the same brand card and an Lpowell patch doesn't have this issue with the same scene.
  • I have been using the 14-140 lenses, and a variety of Canon lenses at various focal lengths and apertures without any failures, where I have had failures using Lpowell's and other patches fail. I too always underexpose by a half or full stop in bright exterior lighting. For me this patch is the best out of the thousand I have tried in the last year. As many would know, a freshly formatted card always sets you up for the best results. I’m not sure of how other cards would fare as I only have Sandisk 30mbps cards.
  • Sorry i bit of a noob here, Would it hurt if I also checked the 4:2:2 color at 720 setting on top of these settings on this preset? I like to take to oportunity thank all you for your hard work. It has really helped me with my work.
  • Pixelvore - 422 color sampling is for MPEG video mode only. It does not affect AVCHD modes
  • Well, indoors the patch works well, no crashing and it does span files. No doubt the outdoor crashes in daylight are due to the poor GH1 codec and the issue with the camera trying to pull detail out of bright highlight areas. I'll have to try more than 1 stop of underexposure and see if that works. For what it's worth, every other hack option crashed today with the foliage test. My hacked GH2 did not, which hints to me that it's inherent in the GH1 AVCHD codec.
  • Hmmm I'm reluctant to buy a new SDHC on the chance that this will work--anyone have both cards, a regular class 10 and the Sandisk to see if this will overcome the dreaded shrub of doom?
  • Tried again today, with 1-1/3 stop of underexposure with the 24P hack. Still crashed repeatedly at about 45 seconds in. The LPowell Reliable patch (not 24P) doesn't, even at 1/3 stop underexposure. It could be my non-Sandisk card that's causing the crash, but I'd put my money on the GH1 codec at 24P.
  • Sorry for your crashes MrAnthony. It works great with my cards everytime, under exposed and over exposed as well. I must have one of those lucky Sandisk 30mb class 10 cards. My fim mode is set to - 2, 0, 0,-2.
  • Okay, looking at your settings, the Overall Bitrate is 120,000,000 in the ini file, and your original post says 115,000,000 which is lower than Video Bitrate H (and is not recommended). Probably a typo.

I'm fairly certain that this bitrate of 120,000,000 will cause a crash in bright light. I wasn't planning on experimenting, but I lowered FHD to 75,000,000 and the overall and H to 100,000,000, and the L to 50,000,000 and I'm not getting crashes at all with the foliage, even with 24P checked and slight 1/3 stop underexposure.
  • Well, that was a bust. The quality sucked. Looks like there's more experimenting to do!
  • If you found settings that don't crash with a standard card, that is a major step forward.
  • Standard cards being what a class 4 or 6?. Thats why the GH1 has 17Mbps interlaced modes. Its hard to push this camera to its limits without faster cards. Sure wish there was an easy answer. This hack works well for me, sorry if you dont have the same results.
  • I ordered a Sandisk 32gb from Amazon as the price has come down a bit and it is nice to have one fast card in the card menagerie. I'll give it a spin! In the meantime, if anyone has a Sandisk AND a Transcend class 10 it would be interesting to see if it is indeed the card that is the bottleneck, and if the settings can be tweaked for more stability. I'm really liking the ISO 800 on Rigs's settings indoors.