Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Thom strikes again
  • This will be my thoughts about his highly provocative piece titled "Message Sent Versus Received".

Generally, from my pov it can be concluded to three simple facts.
    1. Companies must add more special advanced analytics who'll interpret sales differently to actual numbers (because supply problems, wrong showcase design, etc)
    2. Companies must introduce special weighting techniques. As real ppofessionals must count about 25x times compared to simple lemming who just bought this mirrorless camera and clearly do not have any photography skills.
    3. Video must be removed from cameras, as it prevents camera to be pure professional tool to take stills (less clear, so you must read previous notes to get it)

My opinion about all of them - here companies are right and Thoms is wrong.
    Btw, usually photo professionals are wrong in any relatively long term thing and managers learned it badly.
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, stop reading the web and go hack that GH2!! (JUST KIDDING)

Hogan is one of the few 'experts' that are actually worth paying attention to what they say.
    I don't know about 1. and 2., but considering 3., I think he's wrong too.

I recently did a behind the scenes video at a photo shoot with a photographer shooting with the Phase One medium format camera (I guess I can say that this guy was 'pro'). We talked and he said that he sees the future of photography in taking video.
    Cameras that can record video in huge resolution, so he can just watch the clips and pick out the best single frames.

If you watch through a video frame by frame, you'll notice that there can be a huge difference between e.g. frame 13 and frame 14. Might be the smile, the look, the way the clothes fall or move, whatever.

It's just a guess but I could imagine older pro photographers being a little bit afraid of this kind of evolution.
  • >If you watch through a video frame by frame, you'll notice that there can be a huge difference between e.g. frame 13 and frame 14. Might be the smile, the look, the way the clothes fall or move, whatever.

It is one of the reasons why we see so many burst modes in top compacts.

I like to use 6-10fps sometimes, to catch interesting moments that are impossible to catch otherwise :-)
  • Doesn't Casio have a cam that can burst 40FPS in 6mpx individual frames? That was like a year ago or something. ;)

• When Photoshop CS5 can edit video frames, vdslr seems natural progression.

A photo is a single frame movie :)
  • Some have been using RED ONE for that already, but for a lot of pro photography it would have to be MUCH better than that. RED EPIC is the next step but still won't be able to replace pro stills cameras, but sooner or later in the future it will happen I'd bet.
  • I think neither will replace the other one. Photography captures a story in one special frame. Videography tells a story in moving frames. Very different art forms.
  • >I think neither will replace the other one. Photography captures a story in one special frame. Videography tells a story in moving frames. Very different art forms.

Exactly.

But burst modes will be more noticeable as we'll see big progress here :-)
  • Never said that videography is to replace photography, but the tools for both will melt together
  • I think we will have 3 groups. Photo centric gears, Video centric gears, Hybrid gears. There are markets for them. We are seeing rise of the hybrid, but I don't think the hybrid will take over the other two anytime soon. More pros who have been enjoying vdslr movement are switching to new video gears with bigger sensors. I think the major reason is the ergonomics.
  • you are talking about near future, but looking at 20 years from now, technology for video and photography will overlap so much that there will be only minor distinctions left. I might be wrong - but I doubt it ;)
  • stonebat wrote: "When Photoshop CS5 can edit video frames, vdslr seems natural progression.
    A photo is a single frame movie :)"

There already is this. :) And with several degrees of completeness and control. I've been using them since the early days of Amiga! My favorites today are (in order of personal taste):

eyeon's Fusion: http://www.eyeonline.com/web/eyeonweb/downloads/downloadfusion.aspx
    Foundry's Nuke: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/features/
    Apple's FCP Studio: http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/
    Apple's Shake: http://urbansemiotic.com/2006/08/05/apple-shake-41-review/
    Adobe AfterFX: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects.html

Almost all of these can do everything that Photoshop can when it comes to image processing of the video frames - some can do VERY much more. Several of them can actually use photoshop's plug-ins directly! I use Photoshop plugins in my Fusion app. ;)

The learning curve is slightly steeper than Photoshop's but not too bad.

Also, I thought I would mention that, Photoshop itself can do anything to video that it can do to a still image - in case you weren't aware already. I've used it in this way a few times when I didn't have access to my bigger apps in the field and needed the kind of tweaks it offers.

• Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately or fortunately I don't have money to buy them all.
  • Me too. :) In my case the University I taught at budgeted me generously. :)

• I envy u!