Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Turning 8bit video into real 422
  • I got a clip that somebody wanted but it was avchd 28mbs.

This agency only accepts Broadcast quality 422.

Got me thinking, so I fired up Cinema4d and went to work.

What if I make a Material texture out of the video and put it on a 1920x1080 rectangle...

A material can have dozens of channels.

I used these channels color, luminance, specular color... each with the video loaded into that channel.

Next, I changed the exposure and HDR gamma on each channel like a bracketed shot -1,0,+1

Then I added a bump channel with the video as texture and applied a tiny amount(1m)

To really add something extra I applied ambient occlusion on the render.

You can add lens flares and make the highlights stand out and apply DOF effects.

The skies the limit.... and your CPU power.

Oh.... my 10 second clip took 3 hours to render.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Nice hint and good work, Thanks for the tutorial.

BTW, if you're doing batches lots of these and know your settings, you can save time using FFMBC:

How to encode your content to ProRes Details

The encoder behaves differently based on 3 options: -qscale < value > or -cqp < value >

Specify a fixed quantizer that will be used for every frame. This is a VBR encoding method. -profile < name > : proxy lt std hq

If bitrate is not specified, the bitrate will be automatically chosen based on video resolution and will be similar to the apple encoder for the same profile. -b < bitrate >

Specify an approximately constant bit rate to use during encoding.

444 encoding: add -pix_fmt yuv444p10 to your commandline options.

See thread at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2169/using-ffmbc-ffmpeg-for-broadcast-for-avchd-rewrapping-conversion/p1