Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12-35mm zoom vs 25mm prime. Which has better image quality?
  • I'm looking for versatility and I usually don't shoot lower than 2.8 because I can never get all of my subject in focus.

However, I've been reading that prime lenses destroy zooms in terms of image quality. Is this true with the Panasonic 12-35/30-100 vs the Panasonic 25mm and the Olympus 45mm?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • The Panasonic zoom is optically one of the best zooms around of course nothing on the Angenieux Optimos but I think it's better then the Canon L 24-70 will have to wait and see what the Sigma is that's sounding beastly... but I prefer primes unless I am physically zooming for effect. As far as optically better primes these days don't destroy zooms but they are lighter normally are faster have less elements and can be sharper. The Olympus primes are amazing especially the 45 and the 12 as are the Voigtlander lenses as far as the pany 25mm I have not used it but what I have seen it looks great and is leica designed so that must mean something the 20mm is a huge favourite for a lot of people.

Primes will make you think more and move around and think more about your shot which can sometimes yield better results then standing around zooming in and out for the right composition... With primes you start to know what a say 17.5mm will give you from where you are standing at any given time.

• Haven't used the 25mm, do have the 12-35 and it is a great lens, it's extremely sharp (not just for a zoom) and great color. HOWEVER, even though you don't shoot below 2.8, a lens is generally softest wide open. That's why a lens with a low aperture is ideal - not necessarily because you can shoot a f0.95 or whatever, but because it will be sharper at 2.8 (theoretically). Theoretically, if the 12-35 was a 1.8, it would be sharper at 2.8 than it is now. BUT, while the 12-35 is sharpest at 4-5.6, it is still pretty damn sharp at 2.8

• Not always true.

The Zeiss C/Y 50mm 1.4 is not as sharp at 2 as the 50 1.7 is at the same aperture. Another example is the 85mm 1.4 vs. the 85mm 2.8. Some lenses constructed mainly for speed seem to be compromised in other parameters.

Regarding the 12-35, I think now that the firmware is fixed it can easily replace a few primes if you don't need to shoot available light too often. Plus, none of the primes in that range has IS. I sold my Oly 12mm to finance it, and while that was a great lens too, I don't really miss it. Kept the 45, though.

• The 45 from olympus is a cracking lens. I have the 12-35 as well and I use them both a lot for our work.

• Interesting, thank you all for the help so far.

What about vignetting with the 12-35? I've had a few people say there's horrible vignetting at 2.8.

Can anybody else confirm this? Will it matter since I'm using a GH2 which I think autocorrects the vignetting effect?

• I've had a few people say there's horrible vignetting at 2.8. Can anybody else confirm this?

You don't need "someone to confirm", all you need is go to 12-35mm lens topic, find reviews and check numbers and compare then to other lenses.