Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic FZ70 ultrazoom topic

Brief specs:

• 20mm-1200mm zoom lens, 14 elements in 12 groups
    • F2.8-F5.9
    • 16Mp 1/2.3" sensor
    • 1080i50/i60 at 17Mbps, 720p50/p60 at 17mbps; 1080p25/p30, 20Mbps / MP4
    • $400 price

Available at:

Hand ons

Press release

LUMIX DMC-FZ70 is packed full of the best multimedia technologies Panasonic makes. Optically the FZ70 delivers from its amazing 20mm wide-angle to 1,200mm (60X) long zoom, making it a category class leader*. With F2.8-5.9 lens brightness, both video and photos will appear bright under low light conditions. Optical image stabilization assures that both long zoom photos and videos are sharp and free from blur. The FZ70 offers amazing Full HD 1080/60i video recording, thanks to Panasonic's experience as a world leader in professional broadcast video. It boasts crystal clear audio due to a unique microphone that eliminates ambient noise and wind sound with the stunning clarity of Dolby® Digital. This unique microphone even zooms with the optical zoom to more precisely zero in on the audio coming from your subject.

1. Category Class Leading Super Long Zoom Lens
      With a 60X optical zoom (20 to 1,200mm), the lens in the FZ70 is the widest and longest zoom in its class*. Its stunningly versatile ultra-wide 20mm to 1,200mm range makes it possible to capture dynamic landscapes, wildlife and almost any scene when traveling. At 20mm the lens captures a nearly 140% wider angle of view compared with a 24mm lens. Comprised of 14 elements in 12 groups, including 6 aspherical lenses with 9 aspherical surfaces and 3 ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) lenses, this advanced lens unit delivers exceptional optical performance by suppressing distortion at the wide end and color bleeding at the tele end.

2. A Little Extra Zoom Kick
      Thanks to its Intelligent Resolution technology, the FZ70 can extend the zoom ratio up to 120X equivalent while maintaining the picture quality. An optional optical lens adapter can further extend the FZ70s range.

3. Amazingly Clear Zoom Microphone with Dolby(R) Digital Audio Quality
      Recording video with the FZ70 is easy, but what's really amazing is its ability to capture audio clearly. The recorded videos come with the highly realistic Dolby® Digital Stereo Creator and its sound quality is further improved in the DMC-FZ70 thanks to a newly developed Wind Shield Zoom Microphone that minimizes wind noise by approx. 70% compared to prior models. Externally, the sealed structure prevents wind from hitting the microphone directly and the draft structure suppresses retention of air internally. As a result, the sound is clear and comfortable to listen to even it if was recorded on a windy day.

4. Full HD Video Recording
      The FZ70 records full-HD 1920 x 1080 videos in both AVCHD and MP4 formats. A special, separate button on the top lets you instantly start recording videos while shooting photos without having to make any extra changes. The Creative Video Mode lets you adjust the shutter speed and aperture any way you like when shooting videos. The powerful 60x optical zoom with POWER O.I.S. is available in video recording as well.

5. New 16.1-Megapixel High Sensitivity MOS Sensor and Venus Engine Deliver High Speed Response and High Picture Quality A newly integrated 16.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor and the advanced image processor Venus Engine feature high speed response and high quality image even in high sensitivity recording. This contributes to enabling high speed burst shooting at 9 fps in full resolution* and the Light Speed AF to catch the most fleeting shooting opportunities together with the quick start-up time of less than a second.

6. Power Optical Image Stabilization with Active Mode
      The POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) effectively suppresses hand-shake vibration. The angular width that the FZ70 can compensate for is more than 200% wider than previous models at the tele-end, which allows for superior handheld 1,200mm super telephoto shooting. The Active Mode equipped allows for active video recording at wide angle such as shooting while walking without causing deterioration of image quality.

7. In-Camera Creative Controls and Retouch
      The Creative Control and Creative Retouch feature a total of 15 filter effects: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Star Filter and One Point Color. The Creative Control lets users shoot with a filter effect while evaluating how it makes a difference in the picture: this can be used for video recording, as well*. The Creative Retouch enables applying a filter effect on the picture even after shooting in camera.

8. Creative Panoramic Effects
      With the Creative Panorama function, it is possible to shoot a horizontal or vertical panoramic image with consequent shots taken by overlaying the previous picture and to put on a filter effect of Retro, Expressive, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Old Days, Cross Process and One Point Color.

9. Amazing Low Light Sensor Response.
      While the FZ70 offers a bright F2.8-5.9 lens, it's the new 16.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor that cuts noise by 10-15% and dramatically improves images in high-sensitivity shooting. Together with the Venus Engine, it elevates the response, sensitivity and image quality of the LUMIX DMC-FZ70 to even higher levels.

10. iA Plus Mode
      In the iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode, the camera does all the work, leaving you free to compose shots and capture moments in both photo and video recording. In addition, the iA Plus Mode enables you to adjust defocusing area, exposure compensation and white balance by just moving the slider.

panas.jpg
    755 x 636 - 79K
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting internal mic.

• They try to use something similar to their camcorders mikes.

• There is some of these camcorder mikes that are not the shotgun type? (there is a stealth factor involved - big external mikes are excellent, but draws a lot of attention)

• There is some of these camcorder mikes that are not the shotgun type

Panasonic uses multiple electret mikes to get surround sound in their cameras. Similar assembly can be used to reduce wind effects.

• I would never try to hand hold my 800mm F4.0 telescope so I am not sure why the manufactures think it is a good idea for beginners.

I really wish they would just make a 20-200mm F2.0-F4.0 super zoom. I don't even care if it has the 1/2.3" sensor. Just give it true 1080p @ 60 FPS and RAW stills and it will work well.

• Panasonic already made similar thing with FZ200. As I understand you want it to be wider.

As for FZ70, it is camera made according to market demands. People tend to buy cameras with longer zooms :-)

• More previews and samples

The plastic bodied camera has a large hand grip with a rubber grip around the front, as well as a decent sized thumb grip on the back, although the back grip is just textured plastic rather than rubber. The styling of the camera gives it the look of a Digital SLR, with a number of external buttons and controls, giving quick access to settings including dedicated continuous shooting, focus, video, AF/Macro/MF, AE Lock buttons, with the last button doubling as a customisable Function / Fn button. A second Fn button can be found on the 4-way controller. To switch between the rear screen and the electronic viewfinder you simply use the LVF button.

• The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ72 - like so many others - is when you start raising the ISO. Being pedantic, noise comes through quite early, but it's tolerable until maybe ISO 800. Shooting raw, you have to ideally keep it on ISO 100 to get the benefit.

This is a camera that will be attractive to the keen photographers who enjoy going out and taking time with their photography. The need for using a low ISO will mean that longer exposures could be needed. The long zoom and Power OIS will be extremely useful for hikers or travellers, although the latter may not like the size of the unit.

In all fairness, Panasonic have done a very good job with the DMC-FZ72. It's well built, takes nice photographs that are in focus and exposed perfectly

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz72_review/

gx15.jpg
    800 x 695 - 105K
    gx16.jpg
    800 x 539 - 78K
  • Video quality is decent, and will likely be fine for home, family and casual amateur use.

Video can be recorded in AVCHD and MP4, and 30P and 60i are available. No 24P and no 60P. Obviously Panasonic doesn't expect serious video shooters to use this camera.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_fz70_review.shtml

• This seems like a great travel camera.

@mpgxsvcd I got some shots that I really loved shooting handheld with a 50D, 600mm f/4 and a 2x converter, but the weight made it a difficult process. I don't see any reason why it's a bad idea to do the same thing if you lower weight and have good stabilization (or a tripod).

• voig18.jpg
    616 x 464 - 86K
    voig19.jpg
    616 x 463 - 84K
  • Starting at its base sensitivity of ISO 100, the Panasonic FZ70 shows noticeable image noise. However, details remain relatively well-preserved with Noise-Reduction dialed down. ISO 200 adds some slight softness and ISO 400 a little more. Still, both these settings remain usable for mid-size prints. ISO 800 is visibly softer with noise being kept low by aggressive noise-reduction, even at the minimum setting.

Lens sharpness is impressive. Not impeccable but sufficiently sharp and rather consistent from edge to edge. There is a tiny bit of softness, probably due to noise-reduction, when seen at 100%. However, given 16 MP of resolution, this is not visible until large print sizes.

Optical distortion is extremely low and so are chromatic aberrations. There is no sign of vignetting at all either. Those shooting RAW may notice this not entirely true as the FZ70 correct for such aberrations internally.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 is a feature-rich ultra-zoom with the widest field-of-view and longest zoom of any fixed-lens camera. Its 60X optical zoom offers dependable image-stabilization and a previously unseen 20-1200mm equivalent range. This versatility is both highly practical and fun.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/panasonic/fz70/review

pan.jpg
    800 x 604 - 108K

Given the similarity between the shooting modes on the FZ70 / FZ72 and the FZ200, you might expect the same goes for video modes, but that's perhaps hoping for a little too much. As a video camera, the FZ70 / FZ72 actually has much more in common with the FZ60 / FZ62 shooting HD movies at 1080i resolution at 50 or 60 fps (from 25p or 30p sensor output) depending on region. There's the option to encode movies as AVCHD files, in which case they're saved in a 'Private' folder separately from the still image files, or alternatively using the MPEG-4 codec saved as a QuickTime .mov file along with the still images.

The AVCHD mode can record video in either Full HD 1080i or 720p, both at a rate of 17Mbit/s. The MP4 mode can record video in Full HD 1080p, 720p or standard definition VGA, at rates of 20, 10 and 4 MBit/s respectively. All three modes are encoded using progressive video at 25p or 30p depending on region, and all match the original sensor output of 25p or 30p respectively

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ70_FZ72/>

test4.jpg
    800 x 603 - 153K
    test3.jpg
    560 x 748 - 103K

The FZ72 has a simple to use, easy to navigate menu system. The FZ72 produces superb pictures that are well exposed and have excellent color reproduction. When shooting portraits, skin tones are decent and free of red-eye when using the flash.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz72-review-23090

fuji12.jpg
    800 x 609 - 110K
    fuji13.jpg
    800 x 596 - 140K