Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Choosing your next camera: Deceptive reviews
  • We present evidence that many product reviews at a private label retailer’s website are submitted by customers who have not purchased the product they are reviewing. We show that these reviews are significantly more negative than other reviews. Moreover, because the reviews are influential, the negative ratings reduce sales of these items.

Deception is generally considered a more cognitively complex process than merely stating the truth leading deceivers to use less complex language. The complexity of the language is often measured by the length of the words used.

Because it is often difficult for deceivers to create concrete details in their messages, they have a tendency to include details that are unrelated to the focus of the message. For example, in a study of deception in hotel reviews report that deceptive reviews are more likely to contain references to the reviewer’s family rather than details of the hotel being reviewed. Other indicators of deception reported in hotel reviews include using more exclamation points “!”

The results indicate strong evidence of deception in the reviews written without a prior transaction. Recall that the word count is one of the most commonly used linguistic cues used to detect deception. The word count for the reviews without prior transactions is approximately 40% higher than in the reviews with prior transactions. We also observe significant (p<0.01) differences on each of the other linguistic cues. We caution that these differences do not indicate that all of the reviews without prior transactions are deceptive. Instead we conclude that these reviews are more likely to contain linguistic cues that are consistent with deception, suggesting that at least some of these reviews are deceptive.

Amazon. The sample of 80 books had a total of 7,219 reviews, averaging 90.2 reviews per book. This included an average of 52.7 reviews tagged as an Amazon Verified Purchase and 37.6 that were not tagged. We report the average rating and the distribution of ratings for these two samples of reviews. We see that the low rating effect is replicated using these reviews from a separate retailer in a different category. The magnitude of the effect is similar to the findings reported before, with approximately twice as many ratings equal to 1 amongst the reviews without a verified Amazon transaction (9.38% versus 4.77%).

Why people write such stuff: The second explanation is in some respects the reverse of the upset customers explanation. It is possible that these customers are acting as “self-appointed brand managers”. They are loyal to the brand and want an avenue to provide feedback to the company about how to improve its products. They will even do so on products they have not purchased.

Third explanation is that reviewers are simply writing reviews to enhance their social status. This explanation is related to the more general question of why do customers ever write reviews with or without prior transactions? In an attempt to answer this more general question some researchers have argued that customers are motivated by self-enhancement. Self-enhancement is defined as a tendency to favor experiences that bolster self-image, and is recognized as one of our most important social motivations. Self-enhancement may explain why reviewers write reviews for items they have not purchased. However, it does not immediately explain why these reviews are more likely to be negative. One possibility is that customers believe that they will be more credible if they contribute some negative reviews.

Check at full at http://web.mit.edu/simester/Public/Papers/Deceptive_Reviews.pdf

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I think if not mistaken Samsung was accused a while back for paying to have negative reviews of HTC products put online by students who recommended Samsung devices instead. I wouldn't be surprised if other companies did such things as well.

• I think if not mistaken Samsung was accused a while back for paying to have negative reviews of HTC products put online by students who recommended Samsung devices instead. I wouldn't be surprised if other companies did such things as well.

This paper is about different things. More subtle and more interesting.

• Because they are running the business and not factory that turns your dreams into reality.

Check the article at the link for some answers:

@VK, I am not talking about reviews, I am talking about features they deliberately take of to kinda make sale. I would think that if they make a product of my dreams, I would actually spend money. Look at the GH3, G6 and Gx7, all have separate features that consumer want yet none have all of them in one. Coincident? When I was buying my GH3, I didn't go by any review. I went to the store played with it, took some still and video, when home played with it then came back the next day and place an other for mine. Yah you can make the argument that different consumers want different things but why not make something that majority of consumers want?

• I am not talking about reviews, I am talking about features they deliberately take of to kinda make sale. I would think that if they make a product of my dreams, I would actually spend money. Look at the GH3, G6 and Gx7, all have separate features that consumer want yet none have all of them in one.

Original article is also not about reviews, but about foundations behind them. Similar foundations are behind most complains :-)

Yah you can make the argument that different consumers want different things but why not make something that majority of consumers want?

Because such majority mostly exist in your imagination. People who decide features have more data and usually know much better that will bring income.

• This is a really bad and ill considered study. My brother went to MIT and he says the faked all the research!! I just picked him up from the airport. Avoid this paper at all costs!!!!

:))