Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How do I get that "Canon" look?
  • I want my colors (JUST COLORS) to be more like a Canon's using my GH2 and Adobe Premeire.

How do I do that?

Some examples of what I want to recreate.

Clipboard01.jpg
    834 x 464 - 40K
    Clipboard02.jpg
    845 x 458 - 54K
    Clipboard03.jpg
    846 x 448 - 35K
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • @acuriousman check the Vibrancy effect in After Effects

• Try shooting with vibrant picture style if your scene allows it since it has less usable DR than smooth or standard.

• Also... most of the "canon look" comes from just using Canon lenses!

• Canon look very easy!!!! just add moire and aliasing and oh.. dont forget to reduce resolution and saturate colors. Easy cake :P

• @acuriousman

Set the GH2 to Vibrant -2 -2 -2 0.

Relative to noise, Vibrant is the cleanest of scene files because it slightly blurs the chroma channels. This means you can raise the mid tones in Premiere for about the best dynamic range you're going to get from a GH2.

For example, raise the mid tones with the Fast Color Corrector -- and you'll see the magic -- that you absolutely can't do with any Canon DSLR. For best results use a high bitrate setting from Driftwood.

• @onionbrain

Amazing! Thank you for the help. I've also read that Nostalgic with +2, +2, 0, 0 is a good way to do it. Which method would you say is better?

• before listening to others who haven't fully done their homework on "Vibrant" check these findings out

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3315/gh2-film-modes-matrices-and-dynamic-range/p1

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/67029#Comment_67029

If you want screwed up skin tones, and crappy shadow response: use Vibrant.

But Vibrant doesn't give you anything that a simple boost of saturation in post will give you.

• Check Voldemort's site for " Tips and tricks for making Panasonic look more like Canon" Google is your friend...

• @endotoxic

don't forget to mention rolling shutter lol

also if you are going for the "canon look" make the skin tones look kinda like dirt or sand.

• Add red, lots of it :-p

• @jleo why is AR "Voldemort"?

• because his account has that nick here..

• Unfocus the image slightly and have cinematic Canon look. :p

PS: Sorry for the bad joke and the offtopic.