Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New Short "Slushpuppy"
  • Hi guys, I wanted to share with you this experimental short film I made in cooperation with the theatre-group 'Als de Beren Komen' from Utrecht. It's a monologue-driven theatrical story about a man who spots, and then tries to manipulate and imagine a story on top of a random girl he encounters in the city. The tale evolves into a game of manipulation, fantasy and imagination where the balance of power slowly seems to shift. We made the film for a local Utrecht art-festival (hence the focus on the city) but were so pleased with the end result that we decided to send it out to a broader audience.

So it's in dutch, with english subtitles.

I'm curious as to how it works for non-dutch residents! cheers, Reinout

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • This is really quite charming and a perfect example of how a simple but solid idea can translate into a really fantastic short film. I'll be sure to share it with friends.

• this is excellent i really enjoyed it and thought it looked visually lovely too :) congrats!

• Loved it! The subtitles melted away and I got totally hooked into the storytelling and visuals. - East Coast USA.

• Excellent! Watched it on a 27" IPS monitor and it looked amazing. Flowmotion you say? Wow.

• Very nice!

• Good concept + Good execution = Very Good viewing! I really enjoyed this.

• Great story and great compositions!

• Thanks for all the awesome feedback guys! By the way, just wanted to ask; how many of you saw the slow transformation of the scarf of the man? How it slowly gained red threads throughout the film, suggesting the gradual subtle manipulation of him by Nina?

• @Reinout --- I didn't see the scarf, but I saw the hair length transition. I thought this was a brilliant exercise in the art of the possible and making the very best of the cityscape. I double like it.

• @Reinout and @andyharris Yeah, same with me. The hair length transition for Nina was pretty cool... I had no idea anything was changing with guy's scarf. That must have been really subtle. I'll have to check it out again :)

• Nice; it's funny how it's almost invisible until you know where to look. No-one seems to be noticing it, while our stylist was afraid it would be too obvious a change!

Hopefully it wil increase rewatch-value to spot all the differences :)

• Well...I'm not Dutch....but it doesn't take a Dutch to realize that this was awesome work. I had to go back and watch it a couple more times. Didn't notice the scarf change at first watch. The hair did stick out though. Nice job.

• Do you have any other work? Seriously. I'd love to watch it. Just because you know what you are doing. Once again, it's not the camera, it's the operator. :)

• Thanks man, sure, here's my channel on vimeo. https://vimeo.com/channels/378085 mind you; it's mostly trailers and short stuff, but see for yourself :) thanks again for all the remarks, really motivates us!!!