Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Corrupted MTS files
  • Yesterday i was filmed a play. And i have about 10 files recorded. When i open it up in the computer, only 2 files can be played! The rest of the files could not be opened with any player or editor! I am using a class 2 SD card. Is that a problem? Class 2 maybe its too slow? But after that, i try recording again, and yep all files could not be played until i formatted the SD card. After formating, everything seems fine. I lost hours and hours of footage. Can i rectify this problem so it wont happen again in the future? Is this an isolated problem or faced by many people in this forum
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • try to reproduce the problem, and then do some tests with the lower quality modes to isolate if its the sd card. in the end, a 16gb class 10 is only about 30$. maybe you should invest. ;) im sorry for your lost footage though, i would have expected the camera to report such a problem!
  • Sorry to hear about your lost footage. If it happens again, check to see if the files are actually on the card. I've had a few occasions where Final Cut Pro 7 did not see the files on the card but I was able to copy and retrieve them with other tools like 5DtoRGB or MPEGStreamclip. For me it seems to happen when the battery dies during a shot. The MTS file appears to be closed properly but the clip info files must not be.
  • I also found a few corrupt files when using one of the 88mbit hack settings (showed up green in AE/Premiere). Strangely, the files played perfectly in Kigo Video Converter on the Mac, but wouldn't work in Premiere or AE. I haven't messed with it more to try an isolate what's causing it though.